cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable outbound calling with Common Area Phones

PatDuss
Listener

We have some classrooms where common area phones are installed in order to reach the IT support desk, or Security (and call 911 if necessary) but should not be used to call any external number.

We were able to do this with our old phone system but we have not been able to recreate this with Zoom Phone. Has anyone been able to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

enielsen
Participant

Is not simple like a button, need to alter the dialplan like this, which allows dialing 911, 933 and 4 digit extensions but not anything with 6 or more digits:

dialplan.digitmap.string = 911T|933T|[0-9]xxxT|xxxxx.!
account.1.dialplan.digitmap.enable = 1

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

sachinzoom
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello,

This is not an available feature in Common area phones or for users.

Having said that, If you have a phone number assigned to the common area phone, the way to accomplish this would be to find the number and Phone Systems Management -> Phone numbers -> Assigned and disable outbound calling from the number.

If this response helps, please accept the answer as an accepted solution, so others can benefit as well.

These phones do not have DIDs. They are internal "emergency only" use phones and the concern is random students will discover they can use them to make random calls to anywhere. This is a pretty standard feature for a traditional phone system so its strange that Zoom Phone would not have this natively. 

sachinzoom

Hi Pat, Are you using Poly or Yealink phones ? 

Yealink T31p phones

sachinzoom

Hi Pat,

Please try this provisioning template and apply it only to Yealink Common Area phones:

This blocks all outbound dialed called calls except to 911 or 933

dialplan.block_out.number.1=.
dialplan.block_out.line_id.1=1
dialplan.emergency.1.value=911
dialplan.emergency.2.value=933

Here's the steps to set a Provisioning template:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360035817952-Configuring-desk-phone-provision-templates

If this response helps, please accept the answer as an accepted solution, so others can benefit as well.

sachinzoom

Hi Pat ! You have some responses to your discussion worth noting. Have any of these answered your question? If so, don’t forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution!

Close, but this didn't allow the phone to continue dial extensions. (but otherwise this also works if thats the behavior others may want for their phones)

I am trying to add more than three desk phones to a common area but I have only been able to add three desk phones, is there any possibility to have more than three phones assigned to a common area? 

enielsen
Participant

We block what numbers can be dialed via the phone configuration (set via templates). That being said, what can be controlled depends on the phone. If I remember correctly, our Yealink phones can be setup to not allow any dialing we do not want while our older Polycom phones can only partially restrict dialing.

I could have sworn there was now a way to control this at the Zoom Phone level, but so far cannot find it so perhaps I am remembering incorrectly.

We have Yealink T31p phones. I'll have to take a look at what is available to configure on the phones themselves. (not sure what the setting would be called but I'll look for something related to outgoing or outbound calling).

enielsen
Participant

Is not simple like a button, need to alter the dialplan like this, which allows dialing 911, 933 and 4 digit extensions but not anything with 6 or more digits:

dialplan.digitmap.string = 911T|933T|[0-9]xxxT|xxxxx.!
account.1.dialplan.digitmap.enable = 1

This did it! Thanks so much!!

Also verify is working correctly when dialing on hook vs dialing off hook. I know this was an issue on the polycom phones, don't remember if we had to do things on our Yealinks

Works either way! (on the Yealink phones we have)

enielsen
Participant

We set things like this in our phone templates in the zoom portal so do not have to do it manually