cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning more than one number to a user

Tawnytim
Newcomer
Newcomer

I'm a one-person small business.  I have two phone numbers and two phones in the office.  I'd like both phones to receive calls on both numbers but when I go to assign my numbers, it looks like it will only allow me to assign one of the two numbers to my user account.  How to I accomplish what I'm looking for?

Redacted screenshot 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Vinnie
Community Champion | Customer
  1. To allocate external number to a user it requires the user to have a Phone License: If you have only one User License, that is not an option, at least not by itself, unless you buy another license.
  2. Common Area Phones also require to have a license per phone, and if you don't have that, then that option is very likely discarded as well, unless you buy the License...but please try, maybe I am misinformed here for non-enterprise accounts.
    • If you in fact can do Common Area Phones, the create two (2) Shared Line Groups with one Telephone Number on each, and then allocated both Shared Lines to Both Zoom Phone Desktop Phones.
  3. The option I see can let you add multiple phone to an entity without the need to a license are Auto Receptionist and Call Queues:
    • So you can create one (1) Call Queue and put both numbers there.
    • Create two (2) "Fake Users" and make them members of the Call Queue, and this will resolve the INBOUND calls part of it.
    • Only users with a Zoom Phone License will be able to make Outbound Calls and/or SMS

Let me know which one you like better, and actually works for your particular situation.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Vinnie

I haven't seen that "limitation" you are showing in the screenshot, but I only work with Business/Enterprise accounts which allows you multiple PSTN numbers to be allocated to a single user.

Question: Do you have/see the capacity to add Share Lines in your Zoom Phone Administration Portal? If you do, maybe you can create 2 Shared Lines (one telephone number on each) and add the Share Lines to both phones.
Are you trying to add the lines to the Phones itself? or the the Users? Maybe it is a limitation of the phone itself that won't allow more than one line at a time, in which case the Share Line option most likely won't work either.
What is the phone model?
Can you provide more details? Or maybe a larger screenshot that shows 

Thanks for the speedy response!  I'm actually not ported in yet but trying to get everything set up ahead of time so I can avoid downtime.  That said, currently my phones and numbers are ringing through Flowroute and the 3CX PBX.  I do have a shared line option it appears - although that feels more like a workaround. 

More screenshots 

Vinnie

Hello @Tawnytim 
I read your question again and I misinterpreted the first time around: In Zoom you cannot assign directly the same telephone number to multiple users, you have to do it either via a SHARED LINE or a CALL QUEUE, at least for Incoming Calls; there are other tricks like Delegating, Additional Device Ringing for a user, but those require a less organized/reliable way of doing it and with a more configuration overhead.
Share Lines or Call Queues: "This is the way"
During porting, once the numbers show in your Zoom Portal, you should be able to allocate them for all your configurations.

OK, that clears it up.  So do I need to create a fake second user(complete with email and everything) so that I can assign both numbers, one to me and the remaining number to the fake user account?

Vinnie
  1. To allocate external number to a user it requires the user to have a Phone License: If you have only one User License, that is not an option, at least not by itself, unless you buy another license.
  2. Common Area Phones also require to have a license per phone, and if you don't have that, then that option is very likely discarded as well, unless you buy the License...but please try, maybe I am misinformed here for non-enterprise accounts.
    • If you in fact can do Common Area Phones, the create two (2) Shared Line Groups with one Telephone Number on each, and then allocated both Shared Lines to Both Zoom Phone Desktop Phones.
  3. The option I see can let you add multiple phone to an entity without the need to a license are Auto Receptionist and Call Queues:
    • So you can create one (1) Call Queue and put both numbers there.
    • Create two (2) "Fake Users" and make them members of the Call Queue, and this will resolve the INBOUND calls part of it.
    • Only users with a Zoom Phone License will be able to make Outbound Calls and/or SMS

Let me know which one you like better, and actually works for your particular situation.

OK.  I do have 2 licenses because I was told by the sales person that one number==one license and I have two numbers.  I'm sure I can hobble this together from here.  Thanks for your help!

Vinnie

Happy to help. If you don't mind, let me know how it went; I think other people could benefit from your experience. Enjoy it!