cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom desktop client auto-uninstalling itself

PAGW
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hello, Zoom recently uninstalled itself on my computer (I saw the uninstall client pop up automatically and run). I reinstalled the client (v. 5.16.10), and it happened again about two days later. Is there a potential good reason for this behaviour or is it likely a bug?

8 REPLIES 8

Rejulios
Newcomer
Newcomer

Same with my case today. After using Zoom, i turned off my laptop. Then after opening it, Zoom was gone! No traces that it is installed. Is there any explanation for this?

Giajones
Newcomer
Newcomer

Why would I expect the Zoom client to have completely uninstalled itself every single time I have a meeting? This is an app that is held out as a professional service, yet I can't think of anything that will make me look more unprofessional as never being on time to a Zoom meeting because I have some sort of outrageous expectation for the app to stay installed between uses.

So, 10 minutes late to the meeting I finally get it installed, and there is not a single video effect available to use. Do I want my co-workers and other professionals to see me sitting in my bedroom????? NO I DO NOT.

Is it an unreasonable expectation for the app to not uninstall itself without warning or notice between uses?????? Apparently it is. This app has become a dumpster fire. Absolute trash. You're damaging my professional reputation because I expect the app to, hmm, how should I say it... I expect the app to actually work without constant reinstallation and reboots.

I can't with this app any more. I'm going to uninstall it myself and never use it again. I can't even express how unbelievably unreliable, buggy, and crash happy this app is. Complete garbage.

visiio
Explorer
Explorer

I am having the same issue, the need to reinsall everytime computer is restarted is frustrating

storyhub
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Suggest running CleanZoom and installing the latest version. https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0065146

Have done this a number of times.
- uninstall zoom
- use zoom clean uninstall
- clear out all registry entries for zoom
- download and reinstall latest version
- the issue persists - any help /guidance would be appreciated

NancyAG
Explorer
Explorer

I am having the same issue on my brand new Mac.   It's so bizarre.  Sometimes the app will be there and sometimes Zoom has completely disappeared from my computer.  This is annoying!

MGSR
Community Moderator | Employee
Community Moderator | Employee

Hello there!

Zoom, like most applications, does not have the inherent capability to uninstall itself autonomously.

This is most likely an issue with the following:

• Antivirus or security software:

• Windows: Some antivirus programs or security suites might mistakenly identify Zoom as a threat and remove it. Check the quarantine or exclusion settings of your antivirus software.
    • macOS: Similarly, on macOS, security software might flag Zoom as a potential threat and automatically uninstall it. Review the security settings and check for any quarantine actions.
  • User Permissions:

• Windows: If you’re not using an administrator account, you may lack the necessary permissions to install or maintain certain applications. This could lead to Zoom being removed.
    • macOS: Ensure that you have the appropriate user permissions to install and run applications. Lack of permissions might interfere with Zoom’s installation or persistence.
  • Corrupted Installation Files:

• Windows & macOS: Corrupt or incomplete installation files can lead to issues where Zoom might be removed during system maintenance or updates. Reinstalling Zoom with a fresh download can help.
  • System Updates or Patches:

• Windows: System updates or patches might inadvertently affect installed applications. Ensure your system is up-to-date and check if recent updates have caused issues.
    • macOS: System updates can sometimes interfere with applications. Verify that recent macOS updates are compatible with the version of Zoom you’re using.
  • Group Policy or Security Policies:

• Windows: In corporate environments, group policy settings might be configured to automatically uninstall certain applications. Check with your IT department if this might be the case.
    • macOS: Security policies set by your organization or system administrators might cause Zoom to be removed. Consult with your IT team if you’re in a managed environment.
  • Application Conflicts:

• Windows & macOS: Conflicts with other applications or system components could lead to unexpected removal. Ensure that the other installed software is not interfering with Zoom.

Please try these steps below when re-installing Zoom:

• Review Antivirus/Security Software: Temporarily disable your antivirus or security software and try reinstalling Zoom. Ensure that Zoom is added to the exclusion list if necessary.
  • Run as Administrator (Windows): Right-click the Zoom installer and select “Run as administrator” to ensure you have the necessary permissions.
  • Reinstall Zoom: Download the latest version of Zoom from the official website and reinstall it.
  • Check System Updates: Make sure both your operating system and Zoom are updated to the latest versions.
  • Consult IT (Corporate Environments): If you’re in a managed environment, contact your IT department to check for any group policies or security settings affecting Zoom.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Mark
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

So what happens when none of those things are the issue? And your Zoom still uninstalls itself every other day for the year (2023-24)? What then? It's not the Antivirus or security software. It's not User Permissions, the users are admin. System Updates or Patches isn't it, only a few users with this issue. it's not Group Policy or Security Policies, that would affect more users. Application Conflicts, nope! And can be Corrupted Installation Files. I would mean the Zoom download site files are corrupted. And I use Clean Zoom to uninstall. So what can be the cause of this? PLEASE FRIGHT IT OUT!