cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Software Update Question(s)...

mawa316

Hello, 

I'm not sure if this is the correct area for this but I have a question about Zoom software updates.  It seems as though initial installation of Zoom is a per-machine installation requiring Admin credentials due to the target locations of the installation.  However, updates seem to be per-user.

I'm just wondering, or it seems to me that the core app requiring elevation and the per-user updates are really two distinct applications where as the per-user machine just 'feeds of of' the main app for functionality.

In terms of Windows Installer, they would be two distinct apps where the per-user installation is not actually updating the per-machine app - not possible I don't believe.  Core functionality updates would always come in the form of per-machine installs.

Is that the main idea behind how Zoom is installed and updated?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this!

1 REPLY 1

mawa316

From what I can gather, the ZoomInstallerFull.msi has ALLUSERS set to 2, which to my understanding means that ALLUSERS will be set based on the users rights.  2 for Per-User or 1 Per-Machine if installing as an admin for example.

Then I've learned that our IT dept uses a Zoom update portal.  So, it seems that its a single app that may be installed per-macine and updated per-user, and that is the part I'd like to understand.  Is this done by some magic through the update portal.

We're kind of running into the issue with deployment of our application(s) and I'm just trying to find out how some fairly larger apps do it.  It would be nice to update per_user, but IT departments in the field are requesting that our apps be installed per-machine.