cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Chat window scrolls up rather than showing new comments

kotgc
Newcomer
Newcomer

The Zoom Chat window won't hold new comments at the bottom of the window, it scrolls up to about 3 older comments.
The bug causes me to repeatedly select the Chat window and scroll down for each new comment at the bottom of the chat window, rather than automatically showing the most recent comment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RN
Community Moderator | Employee

Hey @kotgc @DelapierceD this maybe a setting within your Zoom Desktop Client for Team Chat worth checking out.

In your Zoom Client settings > Team Chat > under "Unread Messages", you will have the option to "Move messages with new replies to the bottom of the chat", ensure that is enabled.

With that setting enabled, you also have the option of how you want to view those unread messages, whether that be starting at the first or latest unread within the Team Chat channel. 

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 9.58.24 AM.png

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

DelapierceD
Newcomer
Newcomer

Bumping this. I have this same issue, as well as the chat jumping around when I try to scroll. Makes it very hard to read the chat

RN

Hey @kotgc @DelapierceD this maybe a setting within your Zoom Desktop Client for Team Chat worth checking out.

In your Zoom Client settings > Team Chat > under "Unread Messages", you will have the option to "Move messages with new replies to the bottom of the chat", ensure that is enabled.

With that setting enabled, you also have the option of how you want to view those unread messages, whether that be starting at the first or latest unread within the Team Chat channel. 

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 9.58.24 AM.png

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

RN

Hello @kotgc, I went ahead and marked my reply as the solution. If this does not solve your problem, please mark my response as "not the solution" and we can continue to troubleshoot! I hope this helped, and thank you! 🙂

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Not the solution

This is not an option on the Chromebook/Webclient. Can you or someone update if this bug is going to be fixed?

Hey RN. I tried what you wrote, but did not have a Zoom Call to test it for a while. I still have the same issue. After the Chat messages build up, I scroll up and down to read them, and it just jumps all over the place. No smooth scrolling

I think I should specify: There are no new messages being sent when the chat jumps around. I am literally just scrolling through messages that already exist in the chat, and the chat jumps all over the place as I scroll - with no new messages being sent

Please help!

This is still very much a problem in the web client, where this option does not exist.  (On Chromium latest, over Linux).

I’ve done this 10 times and it still scrolls up to precious messages instead of staying at the bottom like I’ve set it to. 

This doesn’t help. Zoom needs to fix this. We spend too much money for the app to function like this. Disgraceful. 

This does not help the scenario described and the one I'm experiencing. See the comment from DBlack below.

This is NOT the solution. Please post back that you have filed a bug report.

DBlack
Newcomer
Newcomer

It seems that receiving new messages if Zoom isn't in the foreground / focus results in a small red banner (lower right corner) in the window indicating that there are "# new message(s)", but Zoom just refuses to scroll down automatically to display those new messages regardless of the settings in the client.  This prevents one from being able to read the new messages with just a "peek" (in Windows) or similar, but instead requires bringing Zoom to the front and then scrolling down.  I understand that it may seem like a small thing, but it is a major annoyance.

Yes! This! Exactly right! And if I miss the pop-up or small red-banner, I miss that there is something new to read. Would love a fix. I'm on the Windows installed app and still seems to be an issue regardless of the setting mentioned above.

goanx
Newcomer
Newcomer

I was just on a Zoom (via browser) with over 50 people, the chat was jumping around so much it was driving me crazy and it was so difficult to follow the chat while paying attention to the talk as well.

I have a feeling what was happening was that it kept scrolling back up to previous chat posts whenever someone emoji reacted or replied to it. But it's difficult to test this because I was trying to pay attention to the seminar I was attending. When there are over 50 people on the call all reacting and replying at different times, this becomes an awful experience.

I think the following would be better:

- If you are on the bottom of the chat feed, to automatically update to the newest chat message at the bottom (not replies)

- If you are not at the bottom (i.e. catching up on previous posts), have the notification for new messages and scroll down to the new messages upon clicking on the notification

This is my exact experience and the behavior I would expect. I vaguely remember that Zoom used to work this way. My company blocks the Zoom app, so I'm limited to the web client (Edge 128 on Windows 11 Enterprise). And I have several more meetings before the end of the year where there are 50+ people in a session and where the chat is an integral part of the discussion.

ZoomMate
Zoom Partner
Zoom Partner

Can we configure the app to prioritize unread messages and delay its opening?

Thank you!
zoommate.io