Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Window Decorations Back on Linux Client

ska352
Newcomer
Newcomer

Zoom on Linux (Ubuntu)

Version 6.1.0.198

So, the new version (see above) finally brought the new look that was announced earlier with version 6.0.0 (4563). Yes, it looks more modern. 👍

But

It removes window decorations like the title bar and the borders. As someone who uses the title bar to see whether a window is "sticky" in a multi-desktop setup (sticky means, it moves around with me while I change desktop), this makes the Zoom app less efficient. In just one day, I had already so many occasions on which I left behind a Zoom window (keep in mind that the stickiness changes whenever someone stops sharing a screen) that I got very disappointed with the change.

I looked around in the settings to find something that would bring the window decorations back, but wasn't successful.

Does anyone have any pointers how to get window decorations back? Is it even possible? If not, is there any chance the Product Management at Zoom listens? (If I need to edit weird text files, that's fine. 25+ years Linux user here.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ska352
Newcomer
Newcomer

Solution on KDE (only implemented just now; must stand the test of time):

* Open System Settings

* Go to Window Management -> Window Rules

* Match on "Window class (application)" with "Exact Match" on "zoom"

* "Match whole window class": "no"

* Add property "No titlebar and frame", set it to "No"

* I currently have set it to "force". Maybe a more relaxed setting can work, too.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

morgancoxuk
Newcomer
Newcomer

I'd also like to know - i'm running plasma 5.27.x on kubuntu and the new titlebar is really fat and looks silly

ska352
Newcomer
Newcomer

Adding to this: If you run Zoom in dual monitor setup, all self-written controls like dragging the window and resizing it don't work on the second window. This is a strong regression. I only realized later because I usually drag and resize windows with a modifier key. Most people would use the window decorations for this, though.

Yes, it's completely broken. I've logged a ticket and rolled back to the previous version, if you have a support account I suggest logging a ticket, the more people do the more likely it is to get fixed.

pd3
Newcomer
Newcomer

I have the same problem, it is hugely annoying.

ska352
Newcomer
Newcomer

Solution on KDE (only implemented just now; must stand the test of time):

* Open System Settings

* Go to Window Management -> Window Rules

* Match on "Window class (application)" with "Exact Match" on "zoom"

* "Match whole window class": "no"

* Add property "No titlebar and frame", set it to "No"

* I currently have set it to "force". Maybe a more relaxed setting can work, too.