cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom phone services and porting from Google

MizeraDigital
Listener

I have a free Google voice number I've used for years.  I was trying to find out if I can port this number to Zoom phone.  I tried the virtual assistant, and it has no clue.  Nor could I find anything here about it.  I tried calling both the sales and support voice lines, and the system just ends up terminating the call.  This of course after it discovered I was just a single user.  Not exactly a warm fuzzy right off the bat.  

So, I would still love to know the answer.  Can a number from legacy free Google voice be ported to zoom phone?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi mizeradigital,

i checked my google voice number on my zoom portal and portal said okay to port.  my google number shows bandwidth.com as the losing carrier.  i think this means is that google got my number from bandwidth.com.  your google number may be different.

Eliot_1-1682092676424.png

when you set up your zoom phone account and try to port your google number, zoom will check if your google number can be ported.  if it can not be ported, you can cancel your zoom phone account or have google forward your calls to your new zoom phone local number.

thanks,  eliot

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Eliot

hi mizeradigital,

the answer appears to be yes.  there may be a $3.00 charge by google to unlock the number.

"

Port your Google Voice number out to another carrier
To port your number out of Google Voice, first you need to unlock the number. Then, let your carrier know you want to port a number to their service. Work with them until the porting process is complete.

When you unlock your Google Voice number, it costs $3 USD. But if your number was originally ported in from another carrier, there’s no charge.

On your computer, open Google Voice.
At the top right, click Settings and then Settings.
Go to the “Account” section.
Under the Google Voice number you wish to port out, click Unlock.
Complete the payment with your Google Account.
Ask your carrier to port your number to their service.
If successful, at the bottom left, it displays “Number unlocked.”
Tips:

If your carrier asks for your account number and PIN, provide your 10-digit Google Voice phone number and the PIN you use to access your Google Voice voicemail.
Some third-party services may not accept phone numbers which originated from Google Voice, including after they have been ported to Google Fi Wireless. We recommend contacting any affected third-party service providers should this issue arise."

Port your Google Voice number - Google Voice Help

thanks,  eliot

MizeraDigital
Listener

Thanks for the info.  I had looked at this some time back when I was considering switching to a Google Workspace account.  What is insane is that the Google Workspace agent told me I would first have to port my existing Google Voice number to a physical cell phone.  Only then could they port it to Google Workspace.  

In the text above, you can see this bit: "Some third-party services may not accept phone numbers which originated from Google Voice".  I just wanted to be absolutely sure that this was not the case with Zoom.  

Eliot

hi mizeradigital,

i checked my google voice number on my zoom portal and portal said okay to port.  my google number shows bandwidth.com as the losing carrier.  i think this means is that google got my number from bandwidth.com.  your google number may be different.

Eliot_1-1682092676424.png

when you set up your zoom phone account and try to port your google number, zoom will check if your google number can be ported.  if it can not be ported, you can cancel your zoom phone account or have google forward your calls to your new zoom phone local number.

thanks,  eliot

Thanks Elot,

May just try to go ahead and try to see what happens, long as I can bail if the port can't be completed.  Forwarding won't work for me.  

Thanks again.