cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth. A different question. Really.

Dawnese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Our organization has many meetings that include both urban participants (most of whom have plenty of bandwidth) and rural participants (many of whom have quite narrow bandwidth). I understand that  those with narrow bandwidth should turn off their video, and use speaker view. 

My question is--does it help them for the people with broad bandwidth to turn their video off?

I am having trouble finding a direct answer to this question. Any link to a technical article would be appreciated. I'm having trouble convincing anyone else to even try an experiment about this, because they are so convinced by having heard it said so often.

Can anyone help, please?

2 REPLIES 2

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @Dawnese 

The only thing someone on a high bandwidth connection could do, that could affect anyone on a low bandwidth connection, would be to start Screen Sharing a very high resolution display, or start sending HD in a Group-HD meeting.

Low bandwidth participants may struggle to keep up with a Gallery View of many other participants. But this is why it can be best for them to stay in Speaker View - and to keep their own video off - as you already have read.

Hope this helps.

If this answers your question, please click on Accept as Solution

Rupert

Bort
Community Champion | Employee
Community Champion | Employee

@Dawnese Unfortunately, we don't have any article that breaks down the technical reasons behind this, but disabling their video, and also potentially stopping all incoming video, can improve their connection quality and allow for more important data, such as the meeting audio and shared content, to get to them without having to fight for bandwidth for the other content, such as their outgoing video, others incoming video, etc.