cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Location Detection: Apply minimum match criteria

ChrisDavis
Participant
Participant

The Loaction database for Zoom Phone Emergency Services includes a setting that I can't find documented anywhere: "Apply minimum match criteria". It says this will prevent a location from being detected solely based on a Public IP match. It needs both a Public and Private IP match. This could be useful for us since our NAT ranges span multiple buildings.

My question: Will a sub-location still match correctly if the Private IP is tied to the sub-location (like a building floor) but the Public IP is defined at a parent location (like a site)? I think this is how it works, but I can't find any documentation that confirms this.

The only mention I can find of this setting is in release notes from June 19, 2022. Even the linked document doesn't reference it unless I'm completely missing it.

3 REPLIES 3

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Employee

Hello @ChrisDavis

If you can match on BSSID or public and private IP to get the best location services possible (for a building), then you will not need to use "allow minimum match criteria". We purposely refrain from advertising this as it is a fail-safe for smaller networks that do not have a NAT or complex LAN systems. If you see the question mark next to the setting radio box and hold your mouse over it, it will provide you with all the information you need about this option (screenshot below from my test account). It is an option also, so you can opt in or out of it as you see fit. 

Screenshot 2024-10-03 at 5.21.42 PM.png

 I always encourage my customers to test it on and off and see what works best for them. I was working with a big Enterprise customer a couple of years ago, and they would take a laptop and move between floors of their building to track how the BSSIDs were switching so that they could draw up a specific diagram of how their Emergency Services plans were going to work for their org.  

Please let me know what you think about this. We are always open to feedback. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

YaBoiB

Also, I am sure that you are familiar with this support documentation, but for those who are not here, it is. 

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0062169#h_01EP5NH1JJ86EQEHY95E63TC...

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

ChrisDavis
Participant
Participant

Thanks. Our issue is specifically with Ethernet-connected desk phones and computers, so the BSSID doesn't help. (We are using BSSIDs successfully for WiFi clients.) I hope to get to a place where we have switchports defined for these, but we don't have that now. In the meantime, I'm trying to determine whether the minimum criteria match will succeed or fail if the Public and Private IPs are matched at different levels of the same tree, pulling the address from the lower level. If the match fails completely, it should grab the address configured on the device or CAP account.