Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Team Chat Editing misuse

rh71
Newcomer
Newcomer

Zoom chat allows edits to chats.

Especially one co-worker of mine consistently edits his chats after the fact and then cites the edited version to prove that he did or didn't say something. He writes snarky comments then deletes them. 

Apart from screen shooting every correspondence with him, are there any ways to keep track of other people's edits (either built into zoom or via 3rd party apps)?

I'd love if there were a "track changes" option on edits, or to know how to use it if it exists. 

3 REPLIES 3

S_K
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with such behavior. Zoom Chat does not track message edits or deletions. There are no third-party apps that will do this. This is for privacy and won't be changed. Think of it this way. If you accidentally posted something with personally identifiable information (PII) and then deleted it or edited the PII out of the message, there is no way for anyone to retrieve it from history.

Cheers!

~S

rh71
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hi "S".

Thanks for the speedy official Zoom Employee response.

I love the ability to clarify what one has said and when I use it I strikethrough text rather than delete it and *add *a *star to text that I've added.

So that way someone can go ahead and post as much PII or HIPAA data and then just delete the evidence as a Dawn Raid begins? LOL.

It seems ill advised to support deletion of evidence of having posted PII or HIPAA is not an appropriate behavior.  I would suggest that people better consider what they are posting. Furthermore Zoom could also have an escalation procedure for Zoom Employees to help remove self-reported illegal posts as quickly as you replied to this message.

I'll raise the use of such services with my company ethics board. I've made a screen shot of your official zoom employee reply and will include that in my report.

Thanks,

RH

S_K

Hi RH, 

I respect that you feel so strongly about this. Please use the Feedback Form to submit your ideas, suggestions, or concerns. This ensures your thoughts are being seen by the right team for consideration or action.