cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking Incoming Anonymous calls?

JasonB
Newcomer
Newcomer

We use the Zoom phone system where I work.  One of the lines I access is (I believe) just a voicemail. 

We receive quite a bit of anonymous calls, and I'm wondering if there's a way to block these callers from getting through. I've worked with phone systems that allow lines to be set up so that anonymous callers receive a message that says "the number you are calling doesn't accept blocked calls. Please try again by dialing *82, followed by the number you are trying to call. Thanks (click)."

Is this possible?  If so, how?  

Greatly appreciate it! 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

igorn
Community Champion | Employee

Hi Jasonb,

There is an option to block all calls with no caller id.  Please see the following link for more info on how to accomplish this. 

Manage Blocked Call List 

If this was helpful, please click Accept as Solution below!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

igorn

Hi Jasonb,

There is an option to block all calls with no caller id.  Please see the following link for more info on how to accomplish this. 

Manage Blocked Call List 

If this was helpful, please click Accept as Solution below!

nonprofittechie
Participant
Participant

With all due respect, igorn's post isn't really a solution. There is a rampant issue with 'anonymous' calls coming into Zoom Phone users - I was literally spammed back to back by SIX calls yesterday with 'anonymous' as the Caller ID, all leaving automated 'press one to authorize your order' messages. 

Zoom needs to do something about this, not just acknowledge it's a limitation. Please get to coding something that allows us to stop these spambot calls! 😫

llups
Newcomer
Newcomer

Right: the "block call" thing does NOT work.  I block calls, then get calls labelled "blocked"!  and still get the voicemails.  This makes Zoom phone a distraction and a pain.  I wish I could just get rid of it!  or, that they would actually block stuff!

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi jasonb,

you might try call screening.  this requires the caller to respond to a message "hello, this user's calls are being screened, please press X to reach the user."  X is some specified number.  if the specified number is not entered after a repeat of the message or the wrong number is entered, the caller gets a message that the user is not available and goodbye.  some robocaller dialers do not have the capability to correctly respond to the message, yet.

thanks,  eliot

Reduce robocalls with new call screening
A new call screening feature to help users reduce unwanted robocalls has been implemented. Account owners and admins can enable the Call Screening feature at the account, site, group, user, common area, auto-receptionist, call queue, and shared line group. This feature is enabled and unlocked by default for the entire account. Please note that if Spam priorities are enabled for the account, this feature doesn't overwrite those priorities.

Release notes for March 17, 2024 (zoom.com)

Eliot_0-1723292353415.png

Eliot_1-1723292353417.png

Eliot_2-1723292353418.png

thanks,  eliot

I don't seem to have this.  is this something that the employer needs to ensure is enabled?  In any case, Zoom shouldn't assert that it has a feature (call blocking) when it doesn't.  All blocking does is add a note that a call or voice mail comes from a "blocked" number.  so what?  the idea is to keep it out in the first place!  and why should we then need a work-around for this asserted-but-nonexistent feature?

Eliot

hi llups and jaspnb,

Zoom Phone Number Blocking

When I block a number, the message that the caller gets is “The person you are trying to reach is not available.  Goodby.”

Eliot_0-1723314005231.png

When I look at my zoom windows client history screen, the call does not appear.

Eliot_1-1723314005233.png

When I go to Phone System Management Logs, I see the call was blocked.

Eliot_2-1723314005235.png

For more information on Zoom Phone call blocking, please see zoom support article.

Managing the blocked list (zoom.com)

Zoom Phone Spam Protection

Under Spam Protection, there are three options for calls identified as spam.  Normally, you Zoom Phone System admin chooses.

Eliot_3-1723314005239.png

For more details, please see zoom support articles:

Admin guide for Zoom Phone Spam

User guide for Zoom Phone Spam

Did my response answer your question? If so, please don't forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution.

thanks, eliot

llups
Newcomer
Newcomer

I appreciate your trying to help.  Sadly, I don't have those options; perhaps they are managed by my employer?  And I get notified about every call, even if the number has been blocked.  so, the blocking doesn't help.

Again, thanks for trying to help.

Eliot

hi llups,

the options are usually managed by your employer's zoom phone admin.  you might consider contacting your telecom department or IT Help Desk.

thanks,  eliot

thanks!