Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty setting up a Cisco 8864 without CUCM

bmcneely724
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hey all,

Relatively new to IP phones here. I setting several Cisco 8865's for our small office for use with Zoom Phone. I purchased a few refurbished models, all of which have 2015 firmware (the old blue interface). When following Zoom's provisioning guide, it instructed me to provision the phone via the local IP web interface.

The interface did not match any of the documentation, and there was no admin settings section. I attempted to update the firmware to the current version via tftp on tftpd32 thinking that would solve the issue. The firmware seemed to update successfully, but anytime the phone is disconnected from the network or TFTP is disabled, it reverts back to the 2015 firmware. Does anyone know why this may be?

Or perhaps this is irrelevant and I am taking the incorrect approach entirely. I have also read in the documentation that provisioning the phone will automatically update the firmware once completed, but I can't seem to get that far with the old web interface. Any thoughts?

Thank you very much!

3 REPLIES 3

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

Hi bmcneely724,

Which cisco 8865 version do you have, i.e. enterprise version for cisco unified call manager or the multi platform phone (MPP) necessary for Zoom Phone?  If you do not have the multi platform phone (MPP) version, you should exchange the phones for the multi platform version.  For some cost, cisco will provide a license to install the MPP version.

The current version of firmware for cisco multi-platform phone 8865 is shown below.

Eliot_0-1722717693790.png

Zoom Phone Certified Hardware

Did my response answer your question? If so, please don't forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution.

thanks,  eliot

sparrow
Participant
Participant

Correction on Zoom documentation. I think I need to inform my account team about the "indicated by 3PCC, 3PC or 3PW after the model number." Cisco does allow there enterprise phones to be converted to MPP firmware. It's not a free conversion. Nonetheless, it doesn't always land in the label must contain 3PCC, 3PC, or 3PW to be compatible. It's best to check the firmware load by going into the phone status interface to verify.

Eliot

hi bmcneely724,

cisco updated its support article on the conversion of enterprise cisco 88xx to mpp process august 8, 2024.

Convert Cisco 7800 and 8800 series IP phones between Enterprise and MPP Firmware - Cisco

thanks,  eliot