cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

share screen linux wayland broken

franciscolucas
Explorer
Explorer

Hi, I just installed Zoom client 6.1 on openSuSE and screen sharing is not showing any option anymore on Basic, but only under Advance tab, and there in this one I can only select Screen Portion, but also cannot confirm the screen sharing. Please fix it or let me know how to downgrade to previous version. Thanks in advance!

61 REPLIES 61

tomcho
Newcomer
Newcomer

Coming here to report the same: screen sharing works on the latest version, but stopping the share crashes zoom. Cmon zoom people, can you prioritize this please?

kueblernetes
Newcomer
Newcomer

@MGSR - I'm sure that support and the devs are up to their eyeballs in logs, but is there something that we can be posting or sending that would be helpful at this point?

MGSR
Community Moderator | Employee
Community Moderator | Employee

Hello @kueblernetes, We appreciate your patience. It would be great if you could submit a ticket. 
Kindly include the meeting ID, brief description of the issue and attach the logs.

Mark
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

I tried this, but, as mentioned before here, the ticket got auto-closed. I've attached all the relevant logs.

B-Digital
Newcomer
Newcomer

Any updates on this? Wayland screen sharing breaks every other release. I am able to share the first time, but if I stop sharing or join a new meeting, the screen share is blank for all following sessions until I restart zoom

Fedora 40
Gnome
Wayland

@B-DigitalI've found that when Zoom crashes after stopping to share, I had to kill the aomhost process that was left behind. Then I could get virtual backgrounds to work again and sharing. This is not sustainable but in a pinch it helps.

noblehays
Newcomer
Newcomer

I'm on KDE Neon (which is ubuntu) with plasma 6 which is running 6.1.5.871 that is still getting the only support GNOME message.

Hm. It's weird. I'm on KDE Neon 6 and all works fine with 6.0.12. The newer versions broke the sharing, but even zoom 6.1.6 don't require Gnome.
Here you can download and check https://zoom.us/client/6.0.12.5501/zoom_amd64.deb

Downgrading to 6.0.12 seems to allow share to attempt, and i get the prompt to choose a screen or window, but i don't think its actually sharing (zoom doesn't disappear and i don't get the shared screen version of controls).

If i switch Neon to X11 it works. I guess my workstation (only place I use zoom anyway), will need to stay X11.

The world is moving away from X11. So this is no long term option.

megian
Explorer
Explorer

Still crashes after stoping a screen share with Zoom 6.1.6 on Arch:

$ pacman -Ss pipewire | grep installed
extra/libpipewire 1:1.2.2-1 [installed]
extra/libwireplumber 0.5.5-1 [installed]
extra/pipewire 1:1.2.2-1 [installed]
extra/qemu-audio-pipewire 9.0.2-1 [installed]
extra/wireplumber 0.5.5-1 [installed]

I can't work right now with Zoom and it's hard to downgrade on Arch. Please fix this as soon as possible.

pure
Newcomer
Newcomer

It would be great to get some communication on this; there were 2 different releases which we were told to solve the problem, neither of which did so, and it has been nearly a month since the July 22nd fix. I don't mind so much that stuff like this breaks(it happens), but it is quite frustrating when there is no communication about when/if something will be fixed. If the previous releases weren't going to fix this bug, then it would have been great if we could know beforehand so that we can make informed decisions on what to do.

It seems that you are planning on fixing it, so I would just like to know what has been causing such a big delay in fixing this, and what can we expect moving forward on this issue?

Rogergn
Explorer
Explorer

In my case with Zoom 6.1.10 under Fedora 40 KDE 6.1.4 the symptoms are different. "Use system desktop capture" and "Use system window capture" both do the same thing and result in a prompt from KDE to allow remote control. On agreeing to this a share of the entire desktop (three physical displays) starts. Trying to edit what is shown a window titled "Select a window or an application that you want to share" opens. Moving the mouse pointer over the preview in this achieves nothing despite the "Hover over preview to edit" prompt. The Share sound and Optimize for video sharing options are unselectable. On the plus side, Zoom doesn't crash when I stop the share.

I am in the same boat.

I have the same issue (3 screens on the desktop device). On my laptop it is more workable but this is still really frustrating. It was working *great* earlier this year, then they broke it.

GaneshKomma
Newcomer
Newcomer

The Share sound and Optimize for video sharing options are unselectable. I am also facing the same issue when I am playing a webinar. How to fix this?

I have been stuck using an older version of zoom until the fix it.

Can you share which version you are using, I will have to do the same

Version 5.17.11 (3835) how i downloaded it was just manually typing it in the URL. https://zoom.us/client/5.17.11.3835/zoom_x86_64.rpm (for fedora/red hat).

jmrodri
Explorer
Explorer

Just installed zoom 6.1.11 (1545) and whenever I stop sharing it hangs. I'm using Arch Linux with the following pipewire libraries installed.

$ pacman -Ss pipewire | grep installed
extra/helvum 0.5.1-1 [installed]
extra/libpipewire 1:1.2.3-1 [installed]
extra/libwireplumber 0.5.5-1 [installed]
extra/pipewire 1:1.2.3-1 [installed]
extra/pipewire-alsa 1:1.2.3-1 [installed]
extra/pipewire-audio 1:1.2.3-1 [installed]
extra/pipewire-docs 1:1.2.3-1 [installed]
extra/pipewire-pulse 1:1.2.3-1 [installed]
extra/qemu-audio-pipewire 9.0.2-1 [installed]
extra/wireplumber 0.5.5-1 [installed]

This is what is in the zoom_stdout_stderr.log file at the end of the session when it dies:

*** pw_stream_set_active called from wrong context, check thread and locking: Operation not permitted
*** impl_ext_end_proxy called from wrong context, check thread and locking: Operation not permitted
'this->recurse > 0' failed at ../pipewire/src/pipewire/thread-loop.c:62 do_unlock()
zoom was exited due to a handled signal: 9
ZoomLauncher exit.

Same here. Please prioritize this. I have currently to tell that MS Teams is working better than Zoom.