cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noise suppression in audio settings on free phone app?

trudyh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hello,  I teach Speech and Drama on Zoom and the students take their exams that way too. Most use free Zoom on their phones for this purpose. I find that the background sound suppression kicks in if the kids go into high pitched talking or shouting as part of their Acting pieces. Is there a means of still having the sound in the room enhanced and yet disabling this suppression. If we use `natural sound`  then we cannot hear what they are saying properly.  If the free version does not allow this, then what level of subscription would parents need to support this please?

2 REPLIES 2

KhatC
Zoom Employee
Zoom Employee

Hello @trudyh, welcome to Zoom Community! Background noise suppression is available for both paid and free accounts. Kindly refer to https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0059985 for the feature's prerequisites and steps. Hope this helps. 

The problem is that on the free phone app, as far as I can see, you can only opt to have `noise suppression` or original sound. Neither is any use for my purposes, because original sound doesn`t pick up the students voices for their exam and the noise suppression blocks their sound if they speak in a high pitched voice. On my paid-for laptop version, I have the option of choosing  `auto` `low` `medium` and `high` noise suppression and when on `low` it is perfect for my needs. I was trying to find out if there is a way of getting that option on the free phone app, and if not, and I tell parents to buy the app will it even be on there then ??