cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Subscription needed for Breakout rooms?

crevitch
Explorer
Explorer

I am hosting a virtual high school reunion.  To date I have used the free version of zoom, but I want to use breakout rooms for the reunion.  What is the minimum cost subscription I need to get the breakout rooms feature. Can I set them up so that participants can see who is in each room and join/leave the room at their discretion?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

colegs
Community Champion | Employee

@crevitch - you can use a free account for breakout rooms, but you would still be limited by the 40 minute meeting limitation.  If the users are using the Zoom desktop or mobile client, you can enable them to view who is in the rooms, and join them on their own.

View solution in original post

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @crevitch.

The response from @colegs is spot-on: the Breakout Rooms feature is available to all Zoom users. Here’s the Zoom Support article on Breakout Rooms which might be helpful:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0062540 

@colegs point about the limitation of having a free account is importance to consider. Your meetings are limited to 40 minutes. I’m sure your virtual reunion would hopefully last longer than that, so consider upgrading to a Pro account for a month, which would cost $15.99. If you do not want to continue for longer, be sure to select Monthly for your subscription:

Ray_Harwood_0-1719880227623.png

Once your reunion activities are over, be sure to cancel your subscription. 

Ray - Need Zoom Events/Sessions Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

colegs

@crevitch - you can use a free account for breakout rooms, but you would still be limited by the 40 minute meeting limitation.  If the users are using the Zoom desktop or mobile client, you can enable them to view who is in the rooms, and join them on their own.

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @crevitch.

The response from @colegs is spot-on: the Breakout Rooms feature is available to all Zoom users. Here’s the Zoom Support article on Breakout Rooms which might be helpful:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0062540 

@colegs point about the limitation of having a free account is importance to consider. Your meetings are limited to 40 minutes. I’m sure your virtual reunion would hopefully last longer than that, so consider upgrading to a Pro account for a month, which would cost $15.99. If you do not want to continue for longer, be sure to select Monthly for your subscription:

Ray_Harwood_0-1719880227623.png

Once your reunion activities are over, be sure to cancel your subscription. 

Ray - Need Zoom Events/Sessions Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

crevitch
Explorer
Explorer

Thank you.  I have successfully created breakout rooms and enabled participants to enter and leave on their own.  However, when I join the meeting with the android app, I do not see an option to join a breakout room.  It appears that the only option is to have the host assign a room to the participant.  How do I choose a room as a participant?

The same appears to be true on a desktop client participant.  I see no option to choose a breakout room.  There is a message "The host has opened breakout rooms.  Please wait to be assigned."  For the reunion, it is important for participants to see who is in the individual rooms and be able to choose.

Sorry for the confusion. It is working.  However, the android app does not show who is in the rooms before entering.  Desktop app does.