cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useability of recent Linux Zoom application versions

vdid
Newcomer
Newcomer

Recent versions (currently running 6.1.1) of the Zoom application (both .deb and .rpm packages) took over window decorations. Specifically, they took over the window title bar and its pop-up menus.

It is a problem with the main window, as without special shortcuts, one has no place to grab and move the window using a mouse or trackpad.

It is a problem both in the main and meeting windows, as I no longer have access to the window manager's functions, like "Always on top," which are especially handy for the meeting windows.

Interfering with standard environment features that users are accustomed to is not a winning strategy and is a questionable interface decision. May it be that I missed how to re-enable the old interface?

Currently on Fedora 40, Wayland, Gnome 46.

2 REPLIES 2

lil_waffle
Newcomer
Newcomer

This has been a problem for me too. I'm using GNOME v43.9 on Debian and without the desktop environment's normal window decorations, very useful features like keeping the Zoom window on top of other windows or pinning the Zoom window to all virtual desktops can't be used at all.

There's another thread with proposed solutions for KDE and Fluxbox here, but I haven't figured out whether a similar configuration could be implemented for GNOME.

Got the same problem. An impossibility to set up whatever related to a window title bar - Always On Top above all - is both annoying and ridiculous.

Cite: Operating systems have window decorations for a reason. They're a standardised part of the UI. Please stop breaking basic usability for cosmetic reasons.