cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to start zoom on linux with "pacmd: command not found"

drybalka
Newcomer
Newcomer

I am using Archlinux with sway (wayland) as a window manager and pipewire as an audio processor. From what I've seen zoom supports both wayland and pipewire at least separately from one another, but in my case I get the following output (see below).

Judging from the output it seems the only problem zoom has is missing `pacmd` command. However, `pacmd` is only available in the pulseaudio package and it looks like zoom does not understand that it needs to use pipewire. Does anyone have an idea how I can solve this? Is there an option somewhere to help zoom with recognition? Or maybe the problem is entirely different?

```

ZoomLauncher started.
Zoom path is: /opt/zoom
cmd line:
Start subprocess: /opt/zoom/zoom sucessfully, process pid: 15000
sh: line 1: pacmd: command not found
Class App Lib Possible Culprit Flags
resip::Connection 648 648
resip::Data 36 36
resip::DnsResult 1080 1080
resip::Headers 1 1
resip::MsgHeaderScanner 40 40
resip::SipMessage 5208 5208
resip::TransportSelector 864 864
resip::Tuple 128 128
resip::UdpTransport 1144 1144
resip::GenericIPAddress 28 28

zoom started.

zoom started.
zoom started.
zoom was exited due to a handled signal: 5
ZoomLauncher exit.

```

6 REPLIES 6

jtprince
Newcomer
Newcomer

I'm experiencing the same behavior (Arch linux, sway, pipewire).  For zoom devs, consider using pactl to accomplish pulse audio interaction rather than pacmd.  pactl is supported by pipewire-pulse whereas pacmd is only supported by pulseaudio proper.  IOW, pacmd is a dead-end and pactl should be used instead, if at all possible?  Thanks!

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/issues/357

dmierzej
Newcomer
Newcomer

I don't know about ArchLinux, but on Fedora, I can simply install pulseaudio-utils package (that's separate from main pulseaudio package). That gives me the /usr/bin/pactl and /usr/bin/pacmd binaries that Zoom wants.

gameking505
Newcomer
Newcomer

I too am having this issue. Zoom crashes immediately upon startup before I can click anything. Also using Arch+Sway+Pipewire. Any thoughts/solutions would be amazing.

@dmierzej there is no pulseaudio-utils package on Arch so I'm at a bit of a loss. Are you using that package but on Wayland?

marten
Newcomer
Newcomer

I'm also on Arch+Sway+Pipewire and experiencing exactly the same behavior. Any solution/workaround would be much appreciated.

Shot in the dark but are you on an nvidia card? If so, it may be related to this issue: https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Linux-Regarding-Nvidia-Xwayland-Wayland/m-p/72922

I thought the pacmd error was the cause of the crashing on my system but it turned out to be a red herring. The main cause was this issue with nvidia.

Yes, I'm on a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Mobile card. Thanks for the link, I'll follow the thread!