cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Captioning Enabled But Not Showing

ESP
Newcomer
Newcomer

We have had two reports of subtitles/closed captioning not showing during live events, although enabled by the host. Has anyone run into this issue? It worked fine during practice webinars and in previous meetings, but now we have had two days in a row where a webinar and now a meeting both have closed captioning enabled, but no subtitles.  This is a ZoomGov account, but technology should be the same across both platforms (I'm guessing). 

22 REPLIES 22

CarlaA

Hi there, @ErinP_ERG

When in the Zoom meeting or webinar that you are hosting, please double-check that you are clicking [CC] Live Transcript and then select Enable under Live-Transcription once the meeting has started. Also double-check that you are on the latest version of the Zoom Client

If you have enabled this setting once in the meeting and the captions do not appear, please reply to this post and we will take a further look. Hope this helps!

Zoom Moderator
-CA

Please click Accept as Solution if this answered your question.

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Hello, when I enter a zoom meeting and hit show subtitles, the subtitles don't show up, but I know the captioning is working because you can view it in the full transcript, just not the running subtitles. Why does this happen?

I'm hearing impaired and rely on subtitles.  They are turned on but frequently do not appear when in full screen mode.  The subtitle box is hidden.  What I do to find it is to drag the zoom box so that it is really small and then suddenly the transcription box appears.  Then when I expand the screen again, the subtitle box is on top.  Frustrating for sure.  I hope this helps others to find the subtitle box!

Hello 

Whwn I click on the captioning button it says live captioning is on and will show the first two sentences then disappears. I have tried turning it on and off but that is not helping. I am unable to update to the latest version of Zoom as this is an older computer. What can I do to fix this?

What if you are the participant and not the host?

Hi! Chiming in with the same issue but a few years later. Captions are enabled in my Zoom Settings however when I start a meeting using my personal meeting ID there is no option to enable captions on my side or for my meeting participants. Can you advise?

Hey y’all. I was having the same problem, where as host I would click “show captions” and it would say that a participant has enabled captions, but no captions would show up on the screen.

This problem was solved by having the administrator of my Zoom account follow the steps at this link: 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/8158289360141

In order to have automatic captions in our meetings, the administrator has to turn on captions for users/hosts to have that option. We apparently can’t enable captioning ourselves without admin access if the administrator has that toggled off.

Hello,

I have been a regular user of zoom because of its closed caption function.  I have been using it regularly but recently -- about the last month or so -- even though the CC live caption is enabled and it will start it will then disappear.  it might come back if I hide and then show the captions again.  Either way the closed captioning is not showing up for large portions of a meeting.  Can you tell me why this is? How can I fix this? I see others have asked this question on the community page with no response.  

Also in the event anyone from Zoom is viewing these posts - - I have not been able to get anyone at Zoom to help me with this issue because we have the basic plan (i.e. we do pay for the account but apparently you get no technical support).  The closed caption function is a reasonable accommodation that you are offering on a public platform and as such, you would do well to respond to disabled individuals who are having issues using your platform.  I am inquiring with the US DOJ, specifically the division that deals with ADA Title II complaints, to determine if what Zoom is doing here  - - not responding to any inquiries about a reasonable accommodation - - is legal under the ADA.  Further, if I do not get any response from Zoom on this issue, I will advise my firm to switch to Microsoft teams as I have not had that issue with the teams software. 

Missp1845
Newcomer
Newcomer

Currently having this problem in classroom from different places so it isn’t the organization’s fault but something on Zoom itself

kml550
Newcomer
Newcomer

Closed Captioning is not showing up as an option for me in my webinars. I've turned on all of the correct settings, but it does not show up as a panelist or as an attendee. Please advise. 

I am having this same issue. Everything has been turned on and there are no captions or transcripts.

Nicoleyo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Had the same issue today, what is the solution? 

saritadough
Newcomer
Newcomer

I also can't see the setting, although I enabled it!

Bkuhr
Newcomer
Newcomer

I set up a meeting with live transcript option turned on, but the guest user arrived first (this is an option that I allowed anyone to join at any time), and the option for live captions was not in the menu to turn on. After the meeting ended, I went back and restarted the meeting, and the live captions option was there as usual. If a guest is allowed to join the meeting at any time, and they don't have live captions option on their zoom settings, does this negate my settings as the host?? This has happened several times. I also have to log in in order for the co-host to turn on the captions, otherwise it does not work. This is problematic as I set up lots of meetings that I don't attend. 

I have found that if I make sure I (as the creator of the zoom meeting), am the first to join the meeting, the closed captioning settings work as expected, but if someone outside the company joins the meeting first, it may not work (depending on if their close captioning is enabled or not. Now I always log in early, and haven't had an issue. 

sorensco
Newcomer
Newcomer

with an updated client, our team meeting today 12/6/22 had capturing working for a while, doing really well, then it stopped altogether.  5 min later, it started up again, without producer intervention. Same thing happened yesterday in our meeting. 

DangerBryan
Newcomer
Newcomer

I just downloaded the latest version of Zoom 5.13.6.   When I start a meeting I click on "Show Captions" button and it shows a text box that says "You have turned on Live Transcription."  I have the microphone turned up loud on the computer, then when I talk, nothing appears on the screen.  I cannot get Captions to appear on the screen even though it says "A participant has enabled Closed Captioning."  Please advise.

Myken
Newcomer
Newcomer

Having this issue too - all set up properly (as far as I can see - the instructions are rubbish) but simply not working.  Mic is good (I use a lavalier clip mike) and I can be heard clearly.  Some of our participants join via browser rather than app - is this a possible cause??

dmurphree
Newcomer
Newcomer

I am about to lose my job because zoom captions are not showing in any mode.

cjcornell
Newcomer
Newcomer

I've got the same problem now!  All of a sudden.

CarolCarbine
Newcomer
Newcomer

This is driving me crazy. It's happened several times when I've been on calls and the option to switch on captions doesn't appear. This morning The host checked her setting and it was switched on, she switched it off and on again and a message came up on screen saying they had been switched on by a participant but there was still no option for me to switch on subtitles.  As a deaf individual this is essential for me to be able to participate in meetings. Can you please get to the bottom of this and get it sorted. 

Impactdwi
Newcomer
Newcomer

I am having the same problem. The translate captions option does not show up in the closed captions up arrow during meetings.  It did a month ago.