cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying audism feature - turn your audio on

deafuser01
Newcomer
Newcomer

Every single time, I have to say no, I do not want audio. I am deaf, and it is very, very annoying. Every single meeting I go to, pop up the "you want to turn on audio", every time someone spotlight me, pop up the "you want to turn on audio" and whenever I want to record the meeting, pop up the "you want to turn on the audio." NO I DO NOT WANT! We can see each other fine in sign language and I just want to be at peace without the audism.

5 REPLIES 5

Humashankar
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @deafuser01 

Although Zoom doesn't offer a built-in setting to permanently disable audio prompts, there are a few workarounds to minimize their occurrence.

To reduce these prompts, you can start by muting your audio by default in Zoom's Audio settings, which prevents your microphone from being automatically enabled when joining a meeting.

Additionally, you can disable the automatic audio join feature in the same settings. Another approach is to avoid spotlighting yourself or ask the host to refrain from spotlighting you, as the audio prompt tends to appear when you're spotlighted.

Hope this helps - Happy to help further!!
Thank you very much and have a great one!
Warm regards

Huma

deafuser01
Newcomer
Newcomer

Thank you for that, kind insight and comment. 

I do disable the audio thing. But when I am in a meeting with many people, and it is hard for everyone to see sign language in a small screen, so host would have to turn on the spotlight. Zoom is so obsessed with audio and it'd be great if there were an option to just disable for any pop up. People would tell you if you were muted. 

Frank_TB

Hello,

I can offer a work around until Zoom addresses your concern.

If you plug in a USB microphone that has a physical mute switch you can use the physical mute switch to mute yourself.  You would keep the Zoom application mute turned off at the same time.

The Zoom application will think your microphone is unmuted and stop displaying the warning message.

i do this on my own computer once in a while.

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

Humashankar

Hi @deafuser01 

It's clear that the current options don't fully address the needs of deaf and hard-of-hearing users.

Share your thoughts and feedback here to help our team move forward with implementing this feature. Your feedback is crucial in shaping our development process.

Sending feedback to Zoom

Best Regards.

Have a fantastic day a head.

Huma

donaldslack
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hey deafuser01,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's important to be aware of these accessibility issues. In the meantime, you can try typing "No audio" in the chat whenever you join a meeting to let everyone know!