cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Phones | Inconsistently cannot hear calls - even if they can hear me

snowshoes1818
Listener

Hi folks! Hoping to see if anyone else has run into a prickly audio/connection issue we can't seem to solve. I've been using Zoom Phones at work for two years with essentially no issues.

In the last two weeks, a new issue has cropped up. *Sometimes* when connecting to a call I will not be able to hear callers, even though they can hear me. When this happens:

- Zoom displays a, "Poor network connection. Audio quality may be affected." notice.

- Testing the speaker settings, I can hear the "beeps" loud and clear.

- I am not experiencing slowdowns or throttling in any other manner - or any other audio issues - on any other application while this occurs. Consistent 350 down/20 up.

- Restarting the app sometimes fixes this and sometimes does not.

- Restarting the computer sometimes fixes this and sometimes does not.

- Zoom, the computer, and the router are up to date update-wise. 

1 REPLY 1

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi snowshoes1818,

Intermittent issues are hard to diagnose.

I am guessing that you are using a pc with windows or mac.  You could also try a mobile client instead of your pc when you experience the one way audio.  If the mobile client does not experience one way audio when the pc does, this will help to identify the issue.  

When you experience one way audio, you may check your pc status (windows task amager) as to percent cpu utilization, percent memory utilization, percent disk utilization and percent network utilization.  If the utilization is higher than normal, you may want to identify what processes are consuming a lot of resources and end any unnecessary ones.

Eliot_0-1683979559234.png

In addition to running the latest operating system updates, you may also want to check that your pc or mac has the latest manufacturer updates including those for its audio processors.

these two zoom network diagnostics tools may help diagnose your one way audio issue where you cannot hear callers but they can hear you.

Phone Network Diagnostics – Runs a test to evaluate the quality of your network, it will request access to your microphone to simulate a call.  Try to run this diagnostic when you are having the one way audio issue.

For details, please see support article.

Simulating VoIP calls using the network tool – Zoom Support

Zoom Network Connectivity Tool – tests connectivity between zoom client or app and zoom meetings and zoom team chat.  

For details, please see support article.

Zoom Network Connectivity Tool – Zoom Support

thanks,  eliot