cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Phone on wifi issues

PatDuss
Listener

Hello,

We have an issue with Zoom phone on our Wi-Fi network and are looking for suggestions. The problem seems to be related specifically to Zoom Phone (as in, there are no reported issues during a Zoom meeting, or any other non-Zoom related network processes) 

This is an issue we have been able to recreate several times on Wi-Fi (issue does not occur when connected by ethernet) . 

Here is what happens. If a user is on our wifi network

• Zoom phone call takes 15 seconds before audio connects (dead silence for 15 seconds then everyone can hear each other)
  • Call drops at exactly 2 minutes (almost to the second).
  • Zoom logs report all green (as in no issue reported) but also no audio data is being sent or received from the user that is on wifi. 

We've been recommending users plug into the network but thats not always viable. Also this only seems to happen on our wifi (not when a user goes home or off campus).

Anyone see something like this before? Any ideas welcome!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PatDuss
Listener

I wanted to add a reply to this in case anyone else had a similar issue. We solved it.

It turned out, our Wi-Fi authentication service were putting users (some, not all) into the wrong VLAN even though they were connecting to our secure network (we run a secure and a public network) . Once this was corrected all of the Zoom Phone issues on wi-fi were resolved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

HappyZoom
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

I would suggest that you review the network requirement of Zoom Phone for the WIFI network. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362683-Zoom-network-firewall-or-proxy-server-settings#h... Thanks.

I've shared this with our network team but it never hurts to go over it again with them. Maybe we discover something missing. Thanks.

Matt-LACA
Listener

Maybe pick up some cheap switches to provide you with more ethernet connections? I, personally, never use wifi with anything remotely important.

I probably should have mentioned in my original post to add more context, we are a medium sized University with a very robust network already in place. Everyones office has the capacity for ethernet but many of our users mover around campus throughout the day and aren't always in locations that would give them access to a hard-line plug in (and some simply prefer to be "unhooked").

PatDuss
Listener

I wanted to add a reply to this in case anyone else had a similar issue. We solved it.

It turned out, our Wi-Fi authentication service were putting users (some, not all) into the wrong VLAN even though they were connecting to our secure network (we run a secure and a public network) . Once this was corrected all of the Zoom Phone issues on wi-fi were resolved.