Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Restriction

Alex_z
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

Hi,

What is the best way to do the following?

Some users need to be able to receive inbound calls but not be able to make outbound.

I have tried to play with "  Restricted Call/SMS Hours" but obviously this feature restricts both, incoming and outgoing calls.

There is, of course, a way to do that from the Phone number perspective but I am looking for a way to do that at the user level. This was very common in PABXs. 

I am looking also for something like Class Of Service. For example users with COS=1 can make National outbound calls, while users with COS=2 are allowed to make Mobile calls, and users with for example COS=3 are disallowed to make outbound calls at all.  (numbers are random just for example)

Is that possible? 

Thank you in advanced

Alex

8 REPLIES 8

HappyZoom
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

It is a good idea!  But it is not supported as of now.  You may fill out a feedback at https://www.zoom.us/feed and follow Zoom at https://blog.zoom.us  for new feature announcements. Thanks.

Alex_z
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

Thank you for your reply,

So, how can I accomplish configuring users (or common area phones) to be able to receive inbound calls but not to be able to make outbound?

enielsen
Participant

One can do this via the dialplan on the physical phone. Basically you make it so the phone cannot physically dial more than the desired number of digits (i.e. you allow 911 for emergency and however many digits your extensions are; assuming you also want to allow internal dialing).

Do this in a phone template so can push it to the CAP phones you want it on.

sachinzoom
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @Alex_z 

Good news outbound calling rules are now available which can help you block at user level or Common Area level. Here are the steps:

1. Enable “New outbound blocked list” on your account ( open a zoom support ticket and this will go through internal approvals to enable this feature on your account )

2. Once this is available, it will start showing up as a policy called Outbound calling at Account level, Site level and User level.

sachinzoom_0-1678752660944.png

3. So You can either add all such users and common area phones in one site ( if you want to block outbound calls from them) OR form a group of users ( no common area phones ) to block outbound calls.

The flow will look like this:

sachinzoom_2-1678752870153.png

Add the blocking: ( at account, site or user level  or common area level):

sachinzoom_3-1678752905446.png

And Save. Keep in mind this is a beta feature so support will go over the processes to enable this for you.

If this response helps, please accept the answer as an accepted solution, so others can benefit as well.

The above sounds good as long as you don't need to do this for common area phones. If you need to do for common area phones (or both), going the route of setting the phone's dialplan via a phone template is the only solution. Is easy enough to do, though for some phones (such as older Polycom phones) - no way to restrict some forms of outbound dialing.

sachinzoom

@enielsen @This solution is equally applicable for common area phones and happens at PBX level. A very popular feature request for a long time 

enielsen
Participant

I agree it is a nice addition but since cannot be set per phone for both user and CAP extensions, it might not be suitable for some. Certainly would not work for us as we need it for CAP extensions and cannot put them all in a separate site.

Some one on that beta might want to recommend it getting updated to be settable per extension if at all possible. 

sachinzoom

Hi @enielsen 

I suggested Site dedicated to certain users and common Areas as Any new phones or users added to this site would inherit the property ( outbound calling disabled ). However, You can very well do it per Common Area policy or a user.  Or Is your use case like for e.g. a Common Area  has two deskphones in it and say 1st one you want to enable outbound calling while on second you do not ? In that case you bind one with a prov template and the second one you do not ( ofcourse that may not work for older phones as you mentioned ).