cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange problem with Zoom connectivity

StevePatentAtto
Listener

Very briefly: I have four Windows 10 PCs, all on exactly the same home network, connected to the same service (Verizon FIOS). Two of them will connect to Zoom. A third used to, until a few days ago, when it stopped. The fourth I'd never tested, but now I've checked it and it does not connect to Zoom either.

Details: On the two working computers, when I open the Zoom app I can log in, and I can setup and participate in video conferences perfectly normally. I can also go into any web browser on those machines and connect to the Zoom.us web page.

On the two non-working PCs -- one of which had been working just fine with Zoom until a few days ago -- the Zoom application now hangs when I try to log in. Further, no matter what browser I try, the browser page hangs when I try to connect to Zoom.us. However, I *can* connect to Zoom subdomains (such as this community forum).

As I say, on the one computer, this problem presented itself abruptly a few days ago after years of using Zoom with no problem. Solutions I have tried:

1. Uninstalling and reinstalling the Zoom app.

2. Checking the firewall for any problems, or anything at all, related to Zoom.

3. Adding a rule to the firewall to allow Zoom.us.

4. Rebooting the computers. Turning the computers off and restarting.

5. Clearing the computer's IP cache.

6. Turning off the modem and the router and restarting them.

7. I have my home wired for Ethernet. With one of the working computers, which is a laptop, I disconnected the external Ethernet port, and reconnected that port (with the same Ethernet cable that works with the laptop) to one of the non-working computers. That did not resolve the problem on the non-working computer.

8. Clearing the caches on the various browsers that I use (Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Brave, and one other I forget which).

9. I had been using Microsoft's firewall. I installed Norton's firewall, which did not fix the problem and did cause other problems, so I uninstalled it.

Any hints, clues, suggestions, theories?

Steve

5 REPLIES 5

BFM1
Listener

Hello. I'm having a very similar problem. I can connect when using wifi but not with direct ethernet cable.

Have you found any solution?

Brian

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

if your are using the Zoom desktop client try clearing the Zoom cache:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/7970865190285-Clearing-Zoom-cache-and-cookies 

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

BFM1
Listener

Thanks. 

I did this but alas, still no fix. Someone suggested a dns cash flush.

Wizardfkap
Listener

I have the identical problem, except it began suddenly on November 7, 2023.  I attended several ZOOM meetings in November 1st and again on the 6th (as I have done for years).  When I attempted to attend meetings on November 7th, Zoom would not launch from any device or location. Like Steve above, I trued all the same solutions including uninstall and reinstall, clear cache, etc. And I even tried restarts after each step, etc.  Zoom will not open at all on this computer. This is also a slightly older computer, operating WINDOWS HOME 10. all updates have been completed.  

Surely, by now, someone has found a cause or solution.  Please let me know.

Additional oddity - maybe this is the clue that solves the problem 😉 - Facebook MESSENGER will also NOT OPEN. Exactly like Zoom.  Facebook itself works perfectly.