Ready to set up and use Zoom, but aren't sure where to start? Begin with our onboarding support experience for everything you need to get started.

Get Started
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable login verification code

leopoldj
Observer

We have a Zoom account that is shared by several people to host meetings. When logging into Zoom it often thinks that there is an unusual login and the hosts are asked to enter a verification code (please see screenshot below). The verification code is sent to the account email that these hosts have no access to. This is causing a lot of frustration and delays. Is there any way we can disable this logion verification? Thank you.

leopoldj_0-1643314139619.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

leopoldj
Observer

For those of you having the same issue, you can open a support ticket with Zoom and ask them to enable "allow login from multiple resources" feature in your account. They can do that in the backend. Once this is enabled, login verification will go away.

View solution in original post

YaBoiB
Community Champion

Hello,

Thank you for your patience. Our team has temporarily disabled OTP globally as we re-evaluate. For the time being OTP has been disabled on login.

Please try logging in again, and If you are still having difficulties logging in, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brandon

If this response was helpful for you, please do not forget to click on the accepted solutions button!

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

jeremyjustin
Community Champion

Hi @leopoldj thank you for your post here on the Zoom Community! It looks like you may have Two Factor Authentication (2FA) enabled on your Zoom tentant. Assuming this account you are signing in with does not go through a corporate Single Sign On (SSO)  type login method, this setting can be modified in the Zoom portal. To modify this setting, an admin or the tenant owner can sign into the Zoom web portal, click on "Advanced" and then "Security"

jeremyjustin_0-1643315083593.png

If you scroll down a little bit there is an option to enable/disable Two-Factor Authentication

jeremyjustin_1-1643315122270.png

Here is a support article with more information in case it helps! 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360038247071-Managing-two-factor-authentication-2FA-

If this has answered your question to your satisfaction, please click the "Accept as Solution" button below but if not please reply and we can continue the  discussion. Thank you!

Hi. This is not related to 2FA. We don't have 2FA enabled. This issue is about Zoom thinking at times that there is an unusual login attempt. Sorry, I wasn't very clear about that. Let me modify the question. Thank you.

jeremyjustin
Community Champion

Thank you @leopoldj I appreciate the extra details. Ok, this referred to as One Time Password or OTP.  OTP is a security feature that Zoom implemented to help protect Zoom customers who use the work email and password log on type without Two Factor Authentication (2FA) enabled. If Zoom detects that a user is logging into their account from an unusual or unknown location, Zoom will send the user an email with a One Time Password to enter into Zoom before they can access their account. By doing so, this will potentially cut down account hijackings due to compromised or weak credentials.

So basically this is a security feature built into the system and not something you can disable. 

By the way, it would be great if we could have you work with sales to acquire some more licenses so you don't have to share and run into these workflow snags 🙂

If this has answered your question to your satisfaction, please click the "Accept as Solution" button below but if not please reply and we can continue the  discussion. Thank you!

Thank you for the response.

We are an education company. We have about 12 paid licenses which is enough for the number of classes we run at the same time. However, we have about 30-40 instructors.  When an instructor is scheduled to teach a class we assign a Zoom user to them. They have the correct user ID and password but can't login because of the OTP issue.

Hi @leopoldj I can definitely understand. Perhaps you could create a shared mailbox to receive those emails. I wish I could be more helpful but this is not a recommended solution as I'm sure you can understand. But thank you for using Zoom to teach and we appreciate your input here on the community! 

We have the exact same issue.  Multiple instructors all over the country using our Zoom accounts to teach classes.  We need the control and don't want them using their personal zoom accounts.  We then send the invitation to all the students.  This OTP and 2-step verification is overkill.  The Waiting Room is enough to keep unwanted people out of Zoom.

I have exactly the same issue. I am admin for a charity community of 400 members who need to be able to sign in to the shared Zoom account to start meetings. This is a potential killer for us! Until a week ago, we were quite happily sharing our account, then things all changed. It seems as if everywhere on the face of the planet except a few home locations is deemed "suspicious"! The so-called "AI" is basically just looking up a list of known IP addresses and not considering the fact that people tend to work in different locations. I don't understand why Zoom think this change is necessary. If Microsoft did it or my email provider adopted the same overzealous, paranoid policy, then it would sound the death-knell for mobile communications. A simpler and less drastic solution would be to just send an email to the account holder warning them that someone had signed in from a suspicious location (ie., no OTP) which is what other software vendors do. Apart from that, what if I use VPN? I will be sent a OTP everything I sign in. If zoom can't disable this ridiculous feature then I must cancel my license.

FabioTomas
Observer

Hello, when this feature was implemented? I'm facing the same issue, there's no way to avoid these verifications?

Hey Fabio...same problem here...so far Zoom is not offering any satisfactory option either except disabling the OTP which could be a security risk>>>with many host on our meetings and the OTP giving a window of 10minutes to use I have no idea how we are supposed to negotiate this change to their settings.. good luck :):

There's a way to disable OTP? I'm trying to find.

No...Its a zoom security issue and they aren't offering any alternative.

JenniferLam
Listener

Hi,

I am struggling with the same issue!! We are a professional training company so we use Zoom to deliver online training sessions. Our licenses are shared between different trainers that deliver the session, some are in APAC, some are in Europe. So this warning comes up whenever a different trainer signs in!!! This is so inconvenient as we can't give access to that shared email to everyone...but they can't get the code when they want to login!

I know the purpose is to increase security but this is just too much! They are trying to stop us from sharing accounts!

Best regards

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer...have you tried the 2FA as a solution??? Its been suggested to me but I dont even know how this would help??

Terri

Hi Terri,

No, we don't even have the 2FA enabled. This is not related to 2FA at all

Thanks

Jennifer

leopoldj
Observer

For those of you having the same issue, you can open a support ticket with Zoom and ask them to enable "allow login from multiple resources" feature in your account. They can do that in the backend. Once this is enabled, login verification will go away.

This unfortunately did not work. The Zoom agent said we could not avoid this, which is very frustrating as we also have multiple people logging into our multiple Pro accounts. We need to get a resolution to this issue, as it sounds like it's impacting many users!

how to open a support ticket to and ask Zoom to enable "allow login from multiple resources" feature in your account?

TSCAbj
Observer

Hello Everyone,

We had 2FA enabled to secure access to our account. I am the account admin and have disabled 2FA from the security settings but it is still requiring 2FA every time I log in. I have tried re-enabling and disabling this several times but this issue still persists. See the screenshots below.

Please, who knows how to truly disable this feature once and for all?

Thank you.

Hi,

Have you check if 2FA is enabled on that exact account? As an account admin, you can set the default settings but the user themselves can overwrite in their own account.

Best regards

Jennifer

Thank you Jennifer. I am actually referring to the admin account. I just logged in with that account on my phone to respond to this and had to go to the Authenticator to allow me log in. 
This is something I am experiencing directly. 
Thank you for your response. 

The original post is not about 2FA. It was about unusual login verification which looks similar to 2FA but a different issue. I suggest you create a new post and ask this question. 

TCHWCS
Observer

I'm late to this party but just started having the same issue. Small nonprofit, multiple accounts but multiple users per account. Did anyone ever find a satisfactory solution? The verification codes aren't even coming through when I can access the related email.  Incredibly frustrating!

DYO
Observer

is it possible to request Zoom to disable it ?

YaBoiB
Community Champion

Hello,
My name is Brandon. Thanks for joining the Zoom Community! This function is a security feature, so Zoom cannot disable it. Please see our blog on this subject that was published back on April 25th of this year.  https://blog.zoom.us/how-zoom-works-to-protect-your-account/

If this response was helpful for you, please do not forget to click on the accepted solutions button!

Well in that case, we will have no option but to cancel our subscriptions to zoom and go with Microsoft Teams instead. Zoom enabled the security feature, so why can't zoom just as simply disable it. It is causing havoc to many of your customers. Amazon, iTunes, apple, microsoft just issue emails with warnings when attempts to sign-in  from "suspicious locations" are made, so instead of blocking the attempt and sending a OTP, why not just do that? Apart from that, everywhere outside of the office has suddenly been decreed a suspicious location. What criteria does zoom use for a "suspicious location"?

Hello @NWSS_IT_Admin,
I did some more digging on this. I was not aware, but apparently, there is a lot of user chatter about this. I am being told that if the Owner/Admin can provide Zoom Support in writing (support ticket) of the use case of why they cannot use SSO, 2FA, or OTP, we can potentially disable OTP on the account. Note, that this is not a guarantee, it will still be up for approval by our Trust and Safety team. Let me ask the moderators to submit a support ticket on your behalf. 

Anyone else on this thread, if you have a legitimate use case for the need to disable OTP from your account, please submit a support ticket and reference this thread. This will be reviewed on a case by case basis by the T&S team. 

Thanks, 

Brandon

YaBoiB
Community Champion

Hello,

Thank you for your patience. Our team has temporarily disabled OTP globally as we re-evaluate. For the time being OTP has been disabled on login.

Please try logging in again, and If you are still having difficulties logging in, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brandon

Thank you! That is great news.

Hi Brandon,

Temporarily disabling OTP on a global basis simply is not good enough.

You,  ZOOM, have actually disabled proper access to our PAID licenses without

ever notifying us, and, to make things worse, you are NOT sending out the verification

email-messages. This is an utter disgrace, and constitutes a breach of contract from

ZOOM's end.

We have now spent hours and hours trying to find out what really happened - with our

users not being able to use the PAID licenses. Are you going to reimburse us for all the

time spent, and all the aggravation you have caused?

Peter van Velzen, NL.

YaBoiB
Community Champion

Hello @FHM , 

That is a conversation that you should have with your AE from Zoom. This is not the correct forum for a conversation as such. 

Thanks, 

Brandon 

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for your response, but, no, sorry, not so helpful.

Who decides what can be posted on this forum? You? Zoom?

Zoom has effectively robbed us from properly using our licenses, by introducing

what Zoom calls a 'security-measure' - an OTP based on an alledged suspicious login.

This is because the emails with the login verification code were simply never sent

by Zoom - so testifies my external, third-party email-filter.

And this issue is now deemed Resolved ? By disabling, globally, this OTP-feature?

Come on, you must be capable of doing better than that  !

BTW: I have always been a true believer, advocating Zoom over anything else.

Peter van Velzen - NL.

Hi Peter,

I'm the original poster of this topic. We haven't encountered any issues since the OTP feature was disabled yesterday. It will take few days to know for sure if the OTP emails due to unusual login actually stopped.

It's not exactly clear from the two messages you have posted what kind of problems you are still having. I would like to know since it may affect us as well. Can you please provide more details about what problems you are still having? Thank you.

Hi LeopoldJ,

Thank you for reaching out, and thank you for initiating this thread in the first place.

I do not know where you are located - I am in The Netherlands, Europe.

Our problems went away only a few hours ago, after suffering multiple days where

our Zoom licenses were largely inoperable. I guess when Zoom disabled this so-called

security feature, it took a while before the new status rippled through to the rest of the

world ..... What I do know, for certain, is that Zoom never sent out these login verification

email-messages - running through the logs on our externally hosted, third-party email-

filter (aimed at blocking spam), no trace could be found of these login verification messages.

Perhaps this type of messages were sent out elswhere, but certainly not here.

==

What bothers me is the fact that Zoom, at the expense of its current customers,

and without notifying anyone, changes the EULA. I am in the midst of exchanging

hardware within one of the institutions we administer - exchanging fixed workstations

with laptops - with all of these devices having been used within the same environment,

on the same domain, within the same IP-ranges, using the same Zoom-credentials -

and all of a sudden, the Zoom-logins from within our office-environment are deemed

''suspicious''.  Now, I do not know what AI Zoom is using to decide that the login-

attempts are, all-of-a-sudden, suspicious, but they are definitely legit.

The condescending comments from the so-called Community Champions are then

just the icing on the cake:

* jeremyjustin: By the way, it would be great if we could have you work with sales to

acquire some more licenses so you don't have to share and run into these workflow snags -

* Brandon:I did some more digging on this. I was not aware, but apparently, there is a lot

of user chatter about this -

= these statements reveal the real purpose of this 'security feature': selling more licenses,

and coercing existing users into this mold. These Community Champions are clearly not

interested in building a community, and caring about the issues encountered - wolves in

sheep-clothes, it would seem to me.

Unfortunately Zoom is turning into a company with greed and profit as main drivers,

which is also clear from the recent time-limitation Zoom has imposed onto 1-to-1 sessions.

I fear Zoom will do this again. They will introduce new 'features', and try to sell them as 'uniforming' or as 'security improvements' - disrupting the day-to-day operations of their customers, and downplaying the aggravation caused as 'chatter', and trying to sell you

a few extra licenses on-the-side. The first problem we will encounter, soon, again, is when

Zoom will re-activate OTP - they have only de-activated OTP on a temporary basis .....

--

I consider the Zoom-technology as superior to Teams, especially in the area of

audio - where it counts, in meetings, is in the audio area - the rest is of less importance.

To the users we support the intelligent user-interface is important: it is simple, yet complete.

However, if Zoom keeps up this attitude of neglecting its existing customers, a lot of us

will have to turn to Teams - we cannot go through these pains again and again, while,

at the same time, being belittled by our Community Champions.

I know, ranting .....

Best regards,

Peter.