cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem to install zoom on centos 7

fabien-1987
Newcomer
Newcomer

hi everyone, please I try to install zoom.us on my centos7 but the last version of zoom which zoom 5.17.10 doesn't run because it is for centos 8+. please can you suggest one version which is between 5.14.5 and this version which could be run my centos 7 64bits with the command lines to install it? 

great thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Employee

Hi @fabien-1987 

Unfortunately, CentOS 7 is longer supported as of the 5.13.5 version, released in January 2023. At this point, CentOS 7 devices would have no versions available, as the last version available for that OS is now below the global minimum version. 

At this point, you will unfortunately need to update to CentOS 8 or higher to continue using the Zoom app. The Zoom Web App, which runs on your web browser, is a good alternative in the meantime, although it is limited in what it can accomplish compared to the desktop app. 

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Otherwise, make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Bort

Hi @fabien-1987 

Unfortunately, CentOS 7 is longer supported as of the 5.13.5 version, released in January 2023. At this point, CentOS 7 devices would have no versions available, as the last version available for that OS is now below the global minimum version. 

At this point, you will unfortunately need to update to CentOS 8 or higher to continue using the Zoom app. The Zoom Web App, which runs on your web browser, is a good alternative in the meantime, although it is limited in what it can accomplish compared to the desktop app. 

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Otherwise, make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Bri
Community Moderator | Employee
Community Moderator | Employee

Hi @fabien-1987 ! I've reviewed your post and @Bort has provided the answer to your question, so I've marked it as an accepted solution. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Bri
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

I took your advice today, and installed Zoom on Centos 8, only to find out, yum does not work in Centos 8, because Centos 8 is end of life.   You might want to update this web page.  Before all this, a few weeks ago, I did try Zoom on Rocky Linux 9. The installation went fine on Rocky Linux  9,  but zoom has a problem on Rocky Linux 9, so I gave up running zoom on Rocky Linux 9.  That is why I tried Zoom on Centos 7 ... then Centos 8. 

I originally tried running Zoom on Rocky Linux 9 on 2 different Dell 7490 laptops with 32 GB memory each, but Zoom had problems on Rocky Linux 9, so I gave up running Zoom on Rocky Linux 9. 

You may have succeeded in killing zoom on Centos 7 and Centos 8,, but Zoom on Centos 7 and/or Centos 8 may have worked better than Zoom on Rocky Linux 9.  

At this point, I'm just going to give up trying to run Zoom on Linux. 

My suggestion for what it is worth, would be to release zoom to customers, without support, on Centos 7 and Centos 8, where it might work. That suggestion would cost you nothing. 

SailorJim
Newcomer
Newcomer

I also need the Zoom RPM for Centos 7.
Please note during the last few weeks, a large number of people have read "Bort's Accepted Solution", and not a single Zoom user checked "like".
Same goes for the "Zoom Community Team", not a single Zoom user checked "like" on his comment.
That should tell you something of what your customers thought of those comments.
I am retired from 44 years in Engineering and in IT. I have never seen any software company survive by telling customers, that the support team knows more about the customer's business requirements than the customer.
There are many reasons people and corporations do not regularly upgrade their Linux servers. Upgrading a server cost time and money.
As long as a computer is meeting the needs of customers, and is working fine, it is a waste of time and money to replace the server, or upgrade the operating system.
I would guess that most of you use mobile phones. If you ever visit a computer site for a large mobile phone company, you will find racks of 10 year old servers, that are working fine, are reliable, meeting customer's needs, and helping the company to make a profit for investors, and makes money to pay salaries.
Those are priorities of the real world .. to make a profit and to server customers.
A company that does not make a profit goes out of business. Replacing computers and upgrading operating systems can be a major expense, so there has to be a good reason to do it.
Linux Versions come out very often. Trying to keep up with the latest version of Linux would bankrupt a large data center. It is clear that you only want to support Zoom on a single Centos / Ubuntu / Red Hat version at a time. With your current support strategy, that leaves your customers with not much support.
The problem of supporting software dependent on local system libraries has existed for decades.
Currently you are building your zoom executable by dynamically linking to the installed libraries on the local computer running zoom. This is standard practice, and it is not a good plan.
Linux also supports statically linking local libraries into your executable. Yes, this results in a larger executable file, but it gives your customers the benefit of having a complete standalone executable that can be run on computers with different local system libraries.
Usually a standalone executable with static libraries can be run on any server without even the need to install it, because the executable is completely self contained. In some cases, a self contained standalone executable is even system independent, so you could run the same executable on Windows as well as Centos as well as any other operating system.
An executable file simply contains machine instructions ... I have computers with Windows installations and some with Centos installations ... the processors really don't care what the operating system is ... all a process does is execute the binary instructions in the executable.
Take a look at "https://phusion.github.io/holy-build-box/", and you can google for other alternatives.
This is an issue that has been around for a long time, and appears to be forgotten.
This approach may help your support dilemma, since you don't appreciate that companies and individuals have betters things to do with their time and money than installing the latest version of an operating system.
Your problem just exploded when Centos went away, because now their are at least 3 different groups competing to be a Centos replacement.
By the way, I did figure out how to download the Zoom Centos 7 RPM, and install it on Centos 7, only to find out that you will not allow me to run the executable, without forcing me to upgrade to the Zoom Centos 8 RPM that is not compatible with Centos 7 libraries.
That was really frustrating to hit that brick wall.
You obviously have never worked in a company that had to make a profit, or you wouldn't be driving your customers to a zoom alternatives.

I worked in Linux in IBM since the late 90's before IBM bought Red Hat.
Your approach to Linux Support has problems. I was offended when I read "Bort's" comment that basically said that he knows my system requirements, better than I do, and that I must lack some intelligence since I had not upgraded to Centos 8.
I was also strongly offended, after going to the effort of figuring how to download your Centos 7 RPM, only to learn that you had programmed zoom to self destruct when executed on Centos 7.
I am 74, and I retired from 3 different careers, and I have never seen any company that wanted to stay in business do something that offensive .
You could have easily made the Zoom Centos 7 RPM available to customers without an support.
That approach would have cost you nothing, and would have gained you some good will, but you don't seem to care about your customers. Your current support approach is leaving zoom customer with no alternative, except to find a zoom alternative.
Over the last few decades, I have seen software companies created, some still exist and some don't I have never seen a software company succeed by telling customers, that they understand the customers requirements, more than the customer.
Not a single person clicked like on Bort's statement, or on the Support Team response.
That should tell you something.