cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emailing reminders for subscription renewal

Teffels
Listener

Hi! 

Does Zoom send out email reminders to Zoom users informing them about their upcoming renewal?

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

S_K
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

UPDATE: This is actually changing. Those with annual subscriptions will receive email notifications 30 days before the next annual renewal. 😎

Cheers!

~S

View solution in original post

S_K

Hi Anne,

It's likely the subscription auto renewed. Email notifications are sent to those on auto-pay when payments are processed. They're sent to the billing contact on the account. If you need to change that information, see How do I update my billing contact?. You can also view your invoice history to double-check.

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button! 

~S

S_K

You're welcome! It's targeted to go live this month. Barring any unexpected delays, an account with a renewal date in September should receive a notification. An account with a renewal date in August may or may not receive a notification.

S_K

Hi TrishS09,

Though similar, your question is about a different reminder. Credit card expiration reminders are automated through Zoom as a courtesy. They are delivered at 90, 60, and 30 days then I believe at 14 days before expiration to help ensure no service interruption due to an expired card. 

If you ever receive a Zoom-related email that you suspect may be a phishing attempt, you can forward it to Phishing (phishing at zoom dot us). More helpful information can be found at How To Recognize and Avoid Phishing Scams

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the Accept as Solution button so others in the Community may benefit as well! 

Cheers!

25 REPLIES 25

DECoE1
Listener

Also looking for information on the same question. Thank you

S_K

Hi "DECoE1" ... see my replies to the original poster. 🙂

AnneC
Listener

I wondered the same thing.  I realise it is 13 month since I took out Pro Annual for the charity I am involved with.  I have meetings set up and happy to renew annual subscription, but can't find out how to do this.  Or check if the account is back to Basic.

S_K

Hi Anne,

It's likely the subscription auto renewed. Email notifications are sent to those on auto-pay when payments are processed. They're sent to the billing contact on the account. If you need to change that information, see How do I update my billing contact?. You can also view your invoice history to double-check.

~S

that is not true.  you get your completely normal regular monthly payment receipt.  NO notice about a renewal or being locked in for another 2 years.   

Teffels
Listener

Hi!  Just bumping my question up again: Does Zoom send out email reminders to Zoom users informing them about their upcoming renewal?

Thanks for the help!

S_K

Hi there!

Zoom doesn't send out reminders of upcoming renewal dates. When signing up, terms of service are agreed to which outline that subscriptions will automatically renew. It's always best to note your sign-up date. You can also view invoice history to determine service periods. See Viewing your invoice history

~S

Regardless of the Terms of Service, it isn't polite to automatically renew without a notification email of the upcoming renewal to allow the subscriber to decide whether to continue.

I was getting repeated reminder emails more than 3 months before renewal date: at that stage, my stored credit card was about to expire and I hadn’t had a new one, so couldn’t do anything!

exactly.  like ALL other vendors.   this is shady and they know it.  

S_K

UPDATE: This is actually changing. Those with annual subscriptions will receive email notifications 30 days before the next annual renewal. 😎

Cheers!

~S

Hi. Is this written in policy or terms and conditions somewhere? If so, could you please provide a link?

Many thanks.

S_K

@KMC_IT - Hi! Such notifications are sent as a courtesy to help prevent loss of service due to nonpayment. It's not something in our terms. Did you know that you can enter a backup payment method too?

Teffels
Listener

Thank you, S_K, for the update. Do you know when this change will be live?

S_K

You're welcome! It's targeted to go live this month. Barring any unexpected delays, an account with a renewal date in September should receive a notification. An account with a renewal date in August may or may not receive a notification.

mine auto-renewed with absolutely ZERO notification for 2 years in Nov. 22 so that is not accurate.  

Teffels
Listener

Thanks so much, S_K, this is great news!

TrishS09
Listener

Since early August I have had 2 email reminders to update my credit card details: my card does not expire until November, so I can't do this yet. Also my current annual subscription runs until the end of January 2023, so aren't you being a bit premature??
The emails are coming from the following address, *********** - so I'm wondering even f they are genuine or this is an attempted hacking of my card details!

S_K

Hi TrishS09,

Though similar, your question is about a different reminder. Credit card expiration reminders are automated through Zoom as a courtesy. They are delivered at 90, 60, and 30 days then I believe at 14 days before expiration to help ensure no service interruption due to an expired card. 

If you ever receive a Zoom-related email that you suspect may be a phishing attempt, you can forward it to Phishing (phishing at zoom dot us). More helpful information can be found at How To Recognize and Avoid Phishing Scams

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the Accept as Solution button so others in the Community may benefit as well! 

Cheers!

@S_K   I hope you can see the difference between emails "auto generated as a courtesy" about payment method needing to be updated ($$ to Zoom) and emails reminding people that auto-renewal is about to happen, giving them no chance to make changes or cancel ($$ away from Zoom).   

kdrewmc
Listener

NOPE. sure don't.  they just auto-renew you for another 2 years without ANY communication AT ALL.  It's total bullsh*t and they know it.   Shady as hell.   

kdrewmc
Listener

i like how they can easily send monthly invoices and updates about an expiring credit card but NOTHING about your contract auto-renewing for two years.    

I cancelled my annual subscription last year: I had used Zoom a lot during lockdown, but less and less as we were again able to get out and meet people in person. The few Zoom sessions I have set up since have been using the free version.
As a general rule with any organisation who hold my credit card details, I now routinely cancel "automatic renewal", so they have to notify me before renewal and that gives me the chance to decide whether I want to continue: before I did that, Norton took an annual subscription 3 months early, and Amazon renewed without notifying me.

S_K

Hi @kdrewmc 

All subscriptions automatically renew unless you turn this off by cancelling. This is in Zoom's Terms of Service, to which users agree upon purchasing. When you cancel a subscription, it is effective at the end of the service period (not immediately) so it won't auto-renew.

@S_K   never said i had a problem with auto-renew.   I have a major problem with Zoom's POLICY to auto-renew without any communication or notification.  (not a single e-mail)   There are multiple comments on this post saying that policy is/was changing and it absolutely has not changed.