cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Room controllers can't connect to room PCs with multiple Ethernet interfaces.

neve
Participant
Participant

Starting yesterday, in every room of mine where the room PC has multiple Ethernet interfaces, the room controller iPad can no longer connect to the room PC.

My room PCs mostly have two network interfaces. One standard network with internet access and one local room network to control any display, projectors, etc. The room controller iPads are on the standard network. On the local network the room PC's IP address is 192.168.1.1. It appears as if the Zoom controllers (iPads) are trying to connect to the wrong IP (192.168.1.1) and failing.

Is anyone else seeing this? I've opened a ticket, but the only suggestion was to reboot the iPad.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ZoomZoom
Community Champion | Employee

@neve is right. Looks like in the latest versions, if a ZR is configured with multiple active network interfaces, it might lead to the wrong IP being used.

This has start to happen with ZR 6.1.0 and downgrading to ZR 6.0.7 is a valid workaround. Another workaround is to have only 1 network interface active in the in ZR computer.

You can downgrade the current version from the Zoom web portal:

Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 13.23.18.png

more on this: Upgrading or downgrading Zoom Rooms

If this answer helps you, please hit the “Accept as Solution” button.
Thank you,

ZzZz

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

neve
Participant
Participant

In the second part of step 3 (Advanced --> Advanced settings), I am provided a window where I can change the order of the Providers, not the Adapters. See images

neve
Participant
Participant

The only thing that works for me is:

1. Unplug the local room network interface.
  2. Reboot room PC
  3. Plug-in Local network interface
  4. Un-pair and re-pair room controller
  5. never reboot PC again.

This is not an acceptable solution.

neve
Participant
Participant

According to Microsoft:

In Windows 10, when you make adjustments to the binding order and save, if you re-open the Adapters and Bindings dialog box you will notice that your changes do not persist. This feature was deprecated in Windows 8 and cut from the Windows 10 product as there are no longer any components that utilize the binding order. Instead, components such as DNS and TCP/IP use the routing and interface metrics to determine which interface would be used.

shaunwoodruff
Newcomer
Newcomer

I'm also seeing this in systems where I have a secondary network interface for device control via Room Controls. The Zoom Room is reporting the secondary interface's IP address (192.168.x.y) to the Zoom Cloud instead of the primary interface (enterprise network IP).

Neatpad (connected to enterprise network) which is activated for the room connects to the cloud to pull its configuration but gets told that the Zoom Room is at 192.168.x.y instead of the enterprise network IP address. As mentioned above, the only way to get it functioning is to restart the Zoom Room while the secondary network connection is disconnected. Any power cycling of the Zoom Room after that causes it to fail again.

shaunwoodruff
Newcomer
Newcomer

I also attempted switching the connections around so that the "secondary" USB interface connected to the enterprise network and the primary interface connected to the local network. There was no difference, so it seems like it's not related to MAC address or similar aspects of the network connection.

neve
Participant
Participant

I've got an open ticket (TS1330214), but the support provided has been slow and unhelpful (reboot iPad, check firewall & ports).

shaunwoodruff
Newcomer
Newcomer

I also have an open ticket (TS1338032) which has been passed to engineering along with the Room logs, etc. If I get anything back I'll update here as well.

I've been told to downgrade to a version prior to 6.1.0. Now I just need a link to a prior version.

neve
Participant
Participant

Version 6.0.7 seems to not be affected by this Zoom bug.

ZoomZoom

@neve is right. Looks like in the latest versions, if a ZR is configured with multiple active network interfaces, it might lead to the wrong IP being used.

This has start to happen with ZR 6.1.0 and downgrading to ZR 6.0.7 is a valid workaround. Another workaround is to have only 1 network interface active in the in ZR computer.

You can downgrade the current version from the Zoom web portal:

Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 13.23.18.png

more on this: Upgrading or downgrading Zoom Rooms

Thank you,

ZzZz

I see there is now an option to downgrade the Zoom Room app in the admin interface. Is this new? It would have saved me hours of driving had I known about it.
In many cases the second network interface is for all the AV devices controlled by the Zoom room and not removable.

ZoomZoom

@neve wrote:

I see there is now an option to downgrade the Zoom Room app in the admin interface. Is this new? It would have saved me hours of driving had I known about it.

I am sorry to say that it is not new.

Thank you,

ZzZz

neve
Participant
Participant

I'm very glad it's there as all the downgraded rooms automatically upgraded to 6.1.2. At least it was easier to fix. Automatic upgrading now disabled.