Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

screenshsaring: the participants see black boxes from my side

Laia2
Explorer
Explorer

Good morning,

I really need help with this as it's causing me a lot of trouble:

I'm always the host of a meeting (an online class, actually). Since last week, every time I share my screen, black boxes appear on the side of the participants: they are "the back" of my tool bar and my "participants +  host" squares where our live faces are shown. When I move the tool bar and/or the boxes where my students and I appear, the black boxes move too.

It's difficult to explain. It happened overnight, I didn't do anything at all. 

Can someone help me, please? I've tried to uninstall and install again, rebooting the laptop and the problem persists.

Thanks in advance

Laia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi  ,  

Many users who use Intel Irix xe Graphic experience the grey box issue when their driver version is rather new. We've tested over ten versions and found this version works, please try to downgrade your driver version to this 31.0.101.5522 and try Zoom share again, here is the link of this version

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/823163/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.ht...

This should be an Intel driver issue. It also affects Microsoft’s Accessibility-> Magnifier application. We have reported to Intel. 

@Laia2

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

lancetlc
Zoom Employee
Zoom Employee

Hey @Laia2,

Can you please provide us with a screenshot of what you're seeing so we can confirm with the internal team if needed?

I have been having exactly the same problem as @Laia2 , it occured after I installed the most recent ZOOM updates on Monday. Meeting participants could see black boxes corresponding to the back of my tool bar & participants screen, during screen sharing. They can be hidden by me hiding the taskbar & participants, but I need to see my attendees all the time, so this is not acceptable. I think there is definitely an issue with ZOOM's latest updates. If I had to hazard a guess it is to do with AI companion !!

PS : I have been presenting Virtual quizzes via ZOOM for over 4 years now, so I know what appears to be going on is Zooms problem.

hiya! 

It even happens to people on Zoom Support and the "solutions" they are offering are NOT WORKING, so it's a glitch they must fix. I'm fed up with constant updates, they're useless most of the time and, what is worse, they cause glitches!!! 

And yes, I have the same problem as you, I can't hide the participants square because the main reason I use Zoom is to be able to see my attendees during screen sharing, otherwise, I'd use Google Meet or Teams which are FREE. I'm paying 180eur a year for a useless product.

@lancetlc you clearly need to fix this on your end, because if this persists, many of us will be forced to move to another platform, despite needing some features that only Zoom has. However, with this glitch, Zoom has become useless.

We look forward to you fixing the problem, not the clients!! Thanks,

Laia

I addition when I open windows media player to play music whilst sharing it say's in red letters on a black background move away from application. Again ths has never happened before  @lancetlc  

Oh god, this is getting "better and better". So more than 4 years without issues, now that Zoom is getting "fancier" the clients are screwed up, and the money we're paying is not cheap!! 

Please @lancetlc escalate this to whomever is in charge to find an actual solution to the glitch.

Thanks 

Laia2
Explorer
Explorer

Hi! Thank you for your reply. 

I have screenshots with all the information ready but this says I'm not allowed to upload or post images.

This is getting beyond annoying and upsetting. I CANNOT work like this. Please tell me how I should sed you the screenshots and where.  The glitch must be resolved quickly as this is causing many issues with my job.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Laia

Hey @Laia2,

We suggest you submit a ticket here with the detailed information and screenshots so our Support Team can assist you on this.

Hello, 

The problem is still not fixed despite all the different procedures I've been offered from the support team. I've toed the line and done exactly everything they're suggesting, step by step. I'm no computer illiterate, so I can assure you I'm doing everything correctly.

The glitch appeared overnight, without any change to my laptop, operational system or anything else. I just started Zoom as usual and my students started complaining about seeing black boxes blocking the full screen view when sharing it.

It's clear the problem is Zoom's. So I really need a solution asap from your end. I do not wish to switch to another app/platform as Zoom has all the features I need for my work -unlike the others- but if it doesn't work they way it should and used to, I'm afraid I'll have to actually move to other apps and ask for the annual fee refund which was charged just a few weeks ago.

I look forward to finding a solution and to hearing from someone who can actually fix it for good.

Many thanks,

Laia

cdvinylmania
Explorer
Explorer

I have been having exactly the same problem as yourself, it occured after I installed the most recent ZOOM updates on Monday. Meeting participants could see black boxes corresponding to the back of my tool bar & participants screen, during screen sharing. They can be hidden by me hiding the taskbar & participants, but I need to see my attendees all the time, so this is not acceptable. I think there is definitely an issue with ZOOM's latest updates. If I had to hazard a guess it is to do with AI companion !!

MIC10
Newcomer
Newcomer

I also have this problem, the support suggested to disable the 'optimize video" option, yet in the new version it does not exists at all... any solutions? 

Which version have you got? I've got this feature  in all the versions since  they added it, including the latest one, at least for windows 32 and 64 bits does exist. It's right below the "share sound" button when you click on share screen, on the right.

HOWEVER!! this DOESN'T  FIX the problem for me,  regardless of how many times they've repeated this to me. 

I NEVER CHECK (NOR HAVE NEVER CHECKED) that box and yet they all seem to be hellbent on it. (Everyone in the support team I've spoken to). 

So don't bother because even if you find it, it won't work.

After more than 20 emails with 2-3 different people in support and the glitch not fixed, I've given up. 

Unfortunately, Zoom is over for me.

This speaks volumes of Zoom programmers: they are not capable of fixing a glitch they've created themselves with so many useless updates.

I truly hope they fix this soon and then I'll go back to using Zoom and paying my fees, happily.

Until then, I'll be gone and using other platforms which I don't really like but at least my attendees (students) will see the whole screen without stupid black boxes moving around all the time, blocking their view.

@cdvinylmania @lancetlc 

Jennife
Zoom Employee
Zoom Employee

@Laia2 @MIC10 @cdvinylmania

Hi, sorry to hear that you guys encountered the issue. Our team is paying attention to this case. According to our experience, Black sharing has different reasons. Please help to check your Graphic card information, see the below image.  

Jennife_0-1723098316448.png

If your Graphic is NVIDIA, it might be a known issue caused by NVIDIA, we have a solution already, please try to follow the steps in this article.

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0060527#collapsePC

Jennife_1-1723098485411.png

If your Graphic is intel Irix xe, please check the driver version, if it is a 2024 release,  it should be a new issue that we can reproduce, we are working on it. Before we find the root cause, There is a workaround that can remove the grey box of the Zoom window but the sharing control bar will still be shown as the grey box, that is use the capture mode Advanced share without window filtering Or the last mode

Jennife_0-1723099850890.png

Last, we hope you can provide your Graphic and driver version here so that we can record them.

Regards

@Jennife  My display adapter is Intel(R) UHD Graphics 730

After I installed the most recent ZOOM updates on Monday 5th August 2024. Meeting participants could see black boxes corresponding to the back of my tool bar & participants screen, during screen sharing. They can be hidden by me hiding the taskbar & participants, but I need to see my attendees all the time, so this is not acceptable. I think there is definitely an issue with ZOOM's latest updates. In addition when I open windows media player to play music whilst sharing it say's in red letters on a black background move away from application. Again ths has never happened before.

ZOOM please fix asap OR I shall also go elsewhere

@cdvinylmania Hi, could you please raise a ticket for us? And as a workaround ,can you try the two modes? 

Jennife_0-1723179485867.jpeg

For what it's worth "Advanced share without window filtering" works for the widest number of my team. I haven't tried the more current graphic downgrade fix (down thread) yet.

Hello Jennife,

Unfortunately, as I have already stated multiple times to other support agents I DO NOT HAVE NVIDA, I have Intel Irix xe and the laptop was purchased in March (although the glitch started by the end of July so it's clearly Zoom's issue, after so many and constant updates).

It's obvious you don't have a solution for that, so I already got my refund and moving, very very unhappily, to other apps for my classes.

I truly hope to hear back from you asap saying that the glitch has been solved altogether so that I can go back to Zoom, paying the corresponding fee.

This has caused and is causing damage to my business.

I look forward to hearing from you asap.

Thanks,

Laia 

hi  ,  

Many users who use Intel Irix xe Graphic experience the grey box issue when their driver version is rather new. We've tested over ten versions and found this version works, please try to downgrade your driver version to this 31.0.101.5522 and try Zoom share again, here is the link of this version

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/823163/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.ht...

This should be an Intel driver issue. It also affects Microsoft’s Accessibility-> Magnifier application. We have reported to Intel. 

@Laia2

Downgrading graphic driver version to this 31.0.101.5522 finally worked. Thanks Jennife 🙂

hi Jennife,

this finally worked, not sure how the downgrading will affect the rest of the stuff on my laptop, though. Hopefully it won't make any bad difference.

However, please do keep us posted about when the bug will be actually fixed with the latest versions of graphics, since this is the way it should be.

Thanks again

Laia

Hello! I see there were a few Intel Iris Xe driver updates since your message. Do you know if any of the latest versions of the driver have resolved this issue?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html

FYI I updated my Iris XE driver this weekend (08.25) and it did not solve the issue. I have not yet tested the downgrade solution yet.

^^To be clear the  "Advanced share without window filtering"  did work for me.

Hi Jennife

I'm really upset as the issue is back again. I tried  several times with the downgraded version of Intel Iris Xe and it worked, so I purchased the annual subscription again. Turns out that today, the problem is back and I HAVEN'T CHANGED the version, on the contrary my computer keeps sending me messages about the fact that the version installed may make my computer misbehave. 

So now I've paid 181€ again and I have the exact same problem but with even more issues, with the graphics card.

I'd like to have a solution within the current week please, otherwise I'll have to request another refund and move to Teams for good, whether I like it or not, but Zoom gives me no other option.

I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible. Many thanks,

Laia

cdvinylmania
Explorer
Explorer

I am not sure what you mean by raise a ticket, as the issue has been reported above. I am sure you have many "customers" with the same problem. However I have tried those 2 modes and they did NOT solve the problem !!