cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patching Issues 5.x to 6.x

mnejing_work
Newcomer
Newcomer

My org has been having some issues with older versions of Zoom that were pushed out via Intune. Our RMM software (NinjaOne) has been indicating patches for nearly 100 different machines for a while, and they're all in various states of "don't wanna." 

I've done some investigating, and honestly, kind of stuck. A lot of these older versions were installed to roaming profiles, even with the MSI deployment package. Worse still, uninstalling the software has become a massive pain. The only option we seem to have is manually deleting the files, and searching the registry for entires. The problem I'm running in to is actually getting the registry in to a clean enough state that it'll actually install. I've spent 2-3 hours going through the registry of one computer just trying to clean it as much as I can. Nothing has worked up to this point.

Running Cleanzoom doesn't do aynthing, and fires errors when it starts looking in to roaming profiles. Trying to run the installer despite this results in an error saying the older version of Zoom can't be removed.

Action ended 13:30:02: InstallExecute. Return value 1.
Action start 13:30:02: RemoveExistingProducts.
CustomAction returned actual error code 1612 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox
)
MSI (s) (E4:48) [13:30:02:271]: Product: Zoom Workplace (64-bit) -- Error 1714. The older version of Zoom Workplace (64-
bit) cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. System Error 1612.

Error 1714. The older version of Zoom Workplace (64-bit) cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. Syst
em Error 1612.
Action ended 13:30:02: RemoveExistingProducts. Return value 3.
Action ended 13:30:02: INSTALL. Return value 3.

It's pretty clear what's happening here. 

This level of persistence and inability to simply remove Zoom makes it feel more like malware/a virus than a production app 😕 I have some clients due for an audit soon, and software updates being current is a major compliance point. This has been ongoing for months, and there is no rhyme or reason as to why it happens. I have had two identically configured machines sitting side-by-side, one works fine, the other fails. 

If we can't get a reasonable answer for this, we're almost certainly going to have to drop Zoom as a product we use in our stack. It is absolutely non-negotiable for us to have a product in our stack that we can't properly update, especially one typically deployed as widely as this.

0 REPLIES 0