cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local recording resolution

Postlounge
Newcomer
Newcomer
I have a customer who sends me zoom recordings that have multiple participants with screen sharing. Normally the file is 1920x1080 as required. However today's file was 2256x1504 with the screen share with black bars round it and the inset speaker half in and half out of the screen share.

Can anyone tell me how this is possible? What decides the record resolution of local recording? A search shows some laptops have screen resolution of 2256x1504. So is it one of the participants with the highest screen resolution sets the resolution for recording or is the record resolution set by the computer screen it's locally recorded on?

In that situation how do you force a standard 1920x1080 recording?
3 REPLIES 3

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

• If a screen is shared, the video resolution will be dependent on the resolution of the largest screen shared. 
  • Video will still be sent at a maximum resolution of 1280 x 720p. However, the video will be resized to fill the entire recording frame.

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0066421 

Screenshares can be recorded at higher than 1080P.

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

Postlounge
Newcomer
Newcomer

Thanks for the quick reply.

So when screen shares are received, they are at maximum of 1280x720 and then upscaled for display and local recording to the native display resolution of the local monitor?

On the local recording laptop with a native resolution of 2256x1504, how can you create a local recording at 1920x1080?

Postlounge
Newcomer
Newcomer

I did some experimenting myself with a 2256 laptop to try and find a definitive answer. It sort of confirms the reply got above.

The final resolution is set my the max resolution of any screen share done during a recording. So if mist of the shares area at 1920 but one of the shares is at 2256, the entire final local recording will be at 2256. So that's what zoom is doing at the end of a meeting when it creates the file. It's scaling everything to the max resolution and you can't change it unless you then rescale down with an encoder app like Shutter Encoder which is an excellent open source program based around ffmpeg.