cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Zoom really using AA meetings to train AI?

CaptainAmazing
Listener

I get it if you don't want your data to train AI, then don't use the service.  Except if like work makes you, then you have no choice but to let them have your face. 

However, the correct thing to do is to not use anonymous addiction support groups data.... at all for anything.
In fact leaning in and allowing for some privacy filters on faces and voices as an option. With a complete data dump of all session info after the meeting ends.  These people are hurting and trying to work some stuff out. Zoom could be like... we support you getting help! 

I'm sure its probably semi sorta kind of anonymized data, but the option to not do it also exists. 
Or... am I wrong? I'd like to be wrong and to find out that they don't collect data from addiction recovery groups. 

1 REPLY 1

VA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @CaptainAmazing I very much understand your concern around potential data sharing with AI. I want to emphasize that Zoom AI Companion is turned off and locked by default — account owners and administrators control whether to enable these AI features for their accounts.

If AI Companion is enabled, meeting attendees receive a pop-up notifying them that these features are being used in that meeting. Zoom does not use any audio, video, chat, screen sharing, attachments, or other communications-like content (such as poll results, whiteboard and reactions) to train Zoom’s or third-party AI models. 

We have a breakdown of How Zoom AI Companion features handle your data in our support article, as well as more information in our blog post. I hope this helps!

Virginia (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?