cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck in zoom polycom ZTP hell

jb821
Listener

I evaluated Zoom Phone (with a paid seat for a few months) for my company previously. During this time I provisioned some Polycom phones to Zoom Phone for testing. Even though the devices were deleted and the Zoom Phone service was cancelled, Zoom still has the mac addresses registered to Zoom in Poly's ZTP service preventing registration with another provider. This is unacceptable considering this was a BYOD case, not zoom purchased devices. Zoom support hotline and sales do not answer the phone, after 2 days of attempting to reach anyone at your company. Can anyone help or have you given up on supporting SMB customers completely? The ridiculously poor support (circular chatbots, IVRs that lead to nowhere when calling zoom's toll free #, and unanswered emails) only reinforces that our decision to go with Dialpad was the right one.

8 REPLIES 8

enielsen
Participant

Sorry you are having that issue - have you tried opening a zoom ticket directly?

jb821
Listener

Yup no answer. Hoping for a DM from someone from zoom support to look into it. 

I would suggest trying to reach Poly support to see if they can do anything. 

wal254
Listener

How do you do all the stuff

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi jb821,

1.  FIRST.  please set up these phones on dialpad or whatever voip service you want.

2. reset these poly phones to factory.  sign in using admin password.

3.  reboot the poly phones.

4.  the phones should get provisioning from your new voip provider.

if you do not know the admin password for these phones, please follow poly instructions to use the mac address to set the admin password to 456 default.

How to reset a Polycom VVX phone when the Admin password is lost or unknown [VIDEO TUTORIAL]

thanks,  eliot

jb821
Listener

@Eliot That's actually not how ZTP works. If your phone's mac address is in Poly's ZTP server, it will check there first and follow any config file redirects before it tries to connect to a provisioning server set in user specified settings. Fortunately, we got Poly's support team to remove these MACs from their ZTP server. However it is worth noting that Zoom's agreement with Poly to use ZTP requires removal of mac addresses when the device is deleted from Zoom Phone services which doesn't seem to be happening properly.

Eliot

hi jb821,

when you do a factory reset, it removes any previous server provider information.  this means the phone calls home to poly.

glad it got fixed.

thanks,  eliot

mikemck
Listener

Use DHCP scope options to configure the polycom phone on boot up to go to the provisoning server of your new service.