cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Don't] Dial 9: Challenges managing the transition from PBX to Zoom Phone

Gnarlie
Listener

We have a few dozen wonderful Zoom Rooms, all of which are taking advantage of integrated Zoom Phone in lieu of dedicated Conf Phone hardware.  The rest of our main campus, however, is still on a Mitel PBX and staff is so used to dialing 9 to get out that they sometimes forget and brick a dial-out attempt from a Zoom Room.  They finally reached out for support so it's obviously frustrating.  The concept is ringing a bell like I saw in the Portal somewhere how to compensate for this, but might be picturing something else in another phone system.  Any suggestions to remedy while we continue to plan our global Zoom Phone rollout?

9 REPLIES 9

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello,
My name is Brandon. Thanks for joining the Zoom Community! Are you adding your Zoom Rooms under your Phone System Management here Users & Rooms - Zoom ? 

If the room has a calling plan attached to it the users should be able to dial out directly using the E164 format. I am not sure what the ask is here but I am happy to attempt to help you with this solution. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Sorry I wasn't clear.... is there a way for Zoom Phone to ignore the first key entry if it's a 9?

JimC1
Listener

Is there away to ignore the 9 for hardcoded devices on Zoom? 

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi gnarlie,

what device(s) are you using to dial out from from your zoom rooms?  once we know what device(s) you are using, we may be able to figure out your options to ignore a leading 9.  since you are in process of implementing zoom, you could discuss your options with your account executive, solutions engineer or profesional services.

Zoom Rooms Certified Hardware

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0061345

one possibility is to add a routing rule to strip off a leading 9 from a 11 digit dialing pattern.

for example, 

99125551212 is dialed and the routing rule strips off the leading 9.  the result is

this is the screen where routing rules can be entered.

Eliot_0-1707262430136.png

Eliot_1-1707262970451.png

since mitel pbx is going away soon, another option is to ask users to be patient and wait for zoom phone dialing without the burden of entering a leading 9.

thank,  eliot

Hi Eliot, I'm using a Grandstream ht818 that has an analog connection to a fire alarm (secondary dialer).  

Do you know if the Grandstream ht818 could simply ignore the "9"

The Route Pattern does appear to be a great option!  

Eliot

hi jimc1,

i looked at the user and admin guides for the ht818 and did not see any ability to add routing rules / digit map.  guides are attached.

to be sure, open a ticket with grandstream

https://helpdesk.grandstream.com/

Did my response answer your question? If so, please don't forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution.

thanks,  eliot

Eliot

please see page 52 of ht818 admin guide for dial plan info. 

Thanks. Eliot 

Eliot

hi jimc1,

i stand corrected, please see pages 52-53 of ht818 admin guide for dial plan info.

Eliot_0-1707336795744.png

Eliot_1-1707337036897.png

thanks,  eliot

This is great!!  Thank you very much!!