cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom forces restart without warning.

AaronAMSP
Listener

We need to be able to allow Zoom to perform automartic updates, but we don’t want it to randomly restart people’s computers without notification.  Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

10 REPLIES 10

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @AaronAMSP. the update is only triggered when the desktop client is restarted, so users on either track may be delayed in receiving an update if they do not restart their computer or Zoom client frequently. Heres more info on Automatic update release frequencies

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

AaronAMSP
Listener

Thank you for your response!  However, our issue is once the update happens Zoom just restarts the computer without warning.

Our Event Viewer logs show that Zoom triggers the computer to restart.

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Are you utilizing any MSI or GPO policies on these devices? There are a few options that can ensure the client doesn't restart in the middle of a meeting. 

AaronAMSP
Listener

Yes we are utilizing a MSI policy. 

Bort

There is a specific command-line option that can be used to ensure in-progress meetings are ended before the update happens

I just had this happen yesterday with version 5.12. I cannot push out this update if it will restart people’s computers without warning, this is unacceptable. Is there a fix for this issue or work around to prevent this from occurring?

davenish
Listener

Also suffering this issue, even with the MSI switches it forces a restart, we're pushing the update out via Intune
Sys logs says Zoom initiated the restart

AdminQF
Listener

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue. It just happened to me, but I have been updating via the MSI for the past 3 updates with no issues. 

ZPAdmin
Listener

We also use SCCM to update via MSI and have never had this issue until the latest update was pushed out yesterday, 9/14/23, which was windows v.5.15.12. We had to pull the update as so many users were getting no notice reboots and the Zoom installation was the culprit causing the reboot in event viewer. If anyone has a resolution to this, I would be very appreciative. 

rdaniels
Listener

Here is what fixed this issue for me, enter your command as shown below. 

msiexec /i "ZoomInstallerFull.msi" /q /norestart MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL="Disable"