cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom audio sources not working

blyons3
Listener

Hi,

I'm an experienced video conference participant using Zoom for years.  I'm a professional musician and uses the following digital audio interfaces to feed the Zoom microphone input source:

PreSonus 1824c

Tascam Model 12

Behringer UCA-222

Additionally, I use Voicmeeter Banana as a podcaster software source so that I can mix and loopback signals that originate from other programs like Ableton Live, Presonus Studio One, PG Music Band in a Box, and many others.

For some reason, I can no longer use any of the hardware devices or software sources as microphone (input) sources with Zoom.  The speaker works properly and I can see and hear these microphone sources with other programs.  But, when I select them as sources in Zoom no sound comes across the microphone test meter.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all of the software and drivers that these devices and programs use, but Zoom refuses to capture sound input from them.  They do show up as eligible as input sources in Zoom audio configuration, but no sound ever registers on the Mic meter in Zoom audio settings.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi frombrandon,

current windows client is 5.15,12.

have you tried CleanZoom?

Run CleanZoom to remove Zoom completely

To remove Zoom completely, including any configuration filesrun CleanZoom on your device.

1. Download and run CleanZoom (updated July 25, 2023).
    Note: Use of the clean uninstaller will completely remove the Zoom desktop client, as well as the Zoom plugin for Outlook. The Outlook add-in, Chrome/Firefox extensions, and Google Workspace add-on are unaffected.
  2. Once completed, download Zoom from our download center and reinstall

thanks,  eliot

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

newl
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello @blyons3,

Audio can get sideways fast.. especially if the virtual audio drivers are stepping on each other in a given system.  I would be happy to help but need a bit more info specific to your setup.

What operating system are you running and have you performed any updates lately.

What version of the Zoom client do you have installed?

@newl 

Hi,

Thanks for the offer of assistance.  I'm currently running Zoom Version: 5.15.3 (18551) on two different Windows 10 machines.  I neglected to mention that using the default PC Mic works fine.  I also get normal results if I USB a USB headset from Logitech or Plantronics, but, if I try to use any of the more capable sources listed in my original post, I get no signal coming into Zoom.

Thanks!

Oh,

And like most good Windows users, I try to keep my machine updated.

frombrandon
Listener

I'm dealing with the same issue. I cannot figure it out at all.

lagri
Listener

Let the rest of us know if you find a solution that works. I have submitted a ticket, but because the tech reps do not understand that this is not a studio setting or two zoom users attempting to account for lag time, they have not created a solution to address the issues that we have presented. They have added a background noise suppression default that eliminates live music. And the beta fix that they added to address live music only works on certain devices.

frombrandon
Listener

So I think there is some internal timer, some process in the background that shuts off the external mic. I have twice now reinstalled Zoom and when I first open it up, it works. And it doesn't matter if I unplug or restart Zoom or anything, it works as it should. But somewhere between 2–3 hours after reinstalling, something switches off and then it doesn't work anymore.

Eliot

hi frombrandon,

current windows client is 5.15,12.

have you tried CleanZoom?

Run CleanZoom to remove Zoom completely

To remove Zoom completely, including any configuration filesrun CleanZoom on your device.

1. Download and run CleanZoom (updated July 25, 2023).
    Note: Use of the clean uninstaller will completely remove the Zoom desktop client, as well as the Zoom plugin for Outlook. The Outlook add-in, Chrome/Firefox extensions, and Google Workspace add-on are unaffected.
  2. Once completed, download Zoom from our download center and reinstall

thanks,  eliot

I'm on a Mac, so can't use that. However, I've used a program that completely wipes out every Zoom instance.

I'm on a Chromebook and I can't use CleanZoom either. The Zoop app HAD been working beautifully until a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you Eliot. Your solution worked on my Windows 10 machine. My only critique would be that the uninstaller should be made more readily available from Zoom’s support website and from troubleshooting and/or help.

Hi Elliot:

I followed these directions and reinstalled a fresh version of Zoom. I'd like to play music from my Iphone, through an external speaker, (which seems to have excellent audio) and input it to a meeting through my external camera/mic on my dektop. It sounds fine on my end, but participants in the meeting tell me the music audio is quite "choppy." Voice seems to be fine.

When I test the mic, voice works fine, but it seems Zoom can't hear the music clearly for some reason?

This same configuration was working great on Zoom for over a year!

I suspect that something on Zoom's end must have changed?

Any other suggestions?

Mark

I agree.. Same problem

frombrandon
Listener

Zoom apparently auto-updated to 5.15.12 (Mac). I was on .11 when I first posted and responded to this post. For two days now, my microphone has worked without a problem. I really hope the update fixed it, but I haven't gone crazy and tried unplugging and plugging back in to see if that could initiate it, as it seemed to do in the past. But the timer of turning off after 2–3 hours seems to be solved. It's staying connected all day. I'll update if things change.

lagri
Listener
  • It doesn't work for many of us... I have been attempting to get tech assistance on this issue for a few weeks now. Unfortunately, they have yet to provide a suitable work around. The ones offered by the tech in this chat didn't help me either. Please update if you come up with something. I really don't want to have to switch platforms that is so much trouble...

MP1216
Listener

I sure wish Zoom would at least acknowledge the problem and insure us that someone is working to resolve it. I've followed Elliot's suggestion, and completely resinstalled Zoom. Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the issue of the "choppy" sounding music I'm trying to broadcast to my Zoom meeting associates. It appears that many others are having the same problem, so I have to assume the problem is with the Zoom app.

I used to be able to accomplish this with no problem, so I'm guessing one of the updates introduced the problem.

Any feedback from the Zoom support community on when we might get this issue resolved?

Eliot

hi blyons3,

maybe the issue is zoom noise suppression.  you might try original sound.

Configuring audio for music and singing - Zoom Support

Did my response answer your question? If so, please don't forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution.

thanks,  eliot