cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interpretation

PeterSand
Listener

hi I am a simultaneous interpreter and I often host meetings myself. One of the issues that comes up regularly is when one of my colleagues is on the wrong channel, that is they are broadcasting their interpretation say on the English channel because they forgot to switch back to German. Trying to get their attention is often impossible. It would be a great improvement if the host had the possibility of switching an interpreter's channel to correct the mistake. Any likelihood of something being done? Another point is that to listen to your booth mate you have to switch to another outgoing channel before you can listen to your own booth. That needs to be corrected to and is one of the reasons why interpreters often forget to switch back to the correct channel.

5 REPLIES 5

bstrelko
Community Champion | Customer

Please disregard my previous response!

The meeting's host should be able to click "Manage Language Interpretation" mid-meeting and make changes to interpreter assignments on the fly. 

Please also be sure to submit feature requests (or ask your account owner to do so) for the functions you've suggested. Interpretation is relatively new to Zoom and there are a great deal of lessons learned from systems like Interprefy, Kudo, Interactio, etc for distanced CMSI.

No. At least no answer that addresses the problem that is specific to Zoom where the host cannot control or change the language an interpreter is working into. of course one can always remove the interpreter but if he or she is working that disrupts the whole meeting and everything needs to stop 

PeterSand
Listener

You cannot really manage interpretation on the fly as you suggest - all you can do is to remove an interpreter but that is not a solution. What is needed is a function, like mute, which forces the channel of an interpreter to change with one click.

bstrelko

Can you not remove an interpreter and add them as an interpreter to a different language when clicking 'update'? Or in less moves, switch the interpreter's language from the drop-down?

bstrelko_0-1699109468966.png

Regardless, it does seem like a feature request is going to be your first action-item here, as Zoom does not currently have the level of flexibility for real-time interpretation changes and signaling that you need!

PeterSand
Listener

Exactly - having hosted hundreds of meetings with interpretation - and I am an interpreter myself as I said - this is one of the big issues. I have noted for example that when I mute an interpreter in order to get their attention, they tend to ignore the reason for them being muted and just switch their mic back on and continue on the wrong channel.