cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to STOP notification that host "is talking" when host has hidden self view

slbbery
Listener

During a recent upgrade, I noticed that the notification "James is talking" (I am james) pops up in every zoom meeting when I "hide self view" and then begin to talk during the meeting.  This is INCREDIBLY distracting and makes me SELF-CONSCIOUS  and takes me out of the meeting.  In past versions of zoom (Two updates ago), this only used to show up when OTHER non-video participants spoke, but NOT the host.  This is AS DISTRACTING as having the green square highlighted on me while speaking, which is intolerable.  Is there a setting to make this go away? 

3 REPLIES 3

ZoomTestKitchen
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

I am not aware of a way to turn this notification off. Mostly I find it useful in a large meeting when somebody is speaking but they are located on page 2 or beyond in my gallery. Then I at least know who is speaking. But, I understand your frustration with it popping-up on your screen when it is you speaking.

You might consider submitting it as a feature request. Here's a link to that page...

https://zoom.us/feed

If you find this information helpful, please click on "Accept as Solution".

If you have further questions, please reply, we're happy to help.

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

In Zoom version 5.12.6, this problem did not exist.  Hopefully the developers might consider addressing this issue.  It just does not make sense to show that the host is talking while they are talking (if they have hidden self view); this truly is akin to having the green square on you while speaking, which most individuals don't like.  Besides an actor on stage or someone giving a presentation, who wants to be spotlighted during casual conversation?  I think it's just a recipe for more social anxiety and distraction.

amjennings
Listener

I have the same problem and it is driving me

crazy! I would love a solution, and I submitted a request for an improvement to Zoom.