Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

embedded passcodes

FPCOfficeMgr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hello,

Our meeting links have the passcode embedded for one-click join.

On my Windows 11 machine, I use Chrome to set up the meeting link but sign out after to test the link to make sure it works as a regular participant.  I successfully get into the meeting as a participant using the link WITHOUT being prompted for the passcode.

On that same Windows 11 machine, I go to MS Edge and test the same link to make sure it works.  I am prompted for the passcode in MS Edge.  I have never signed in to Zoom at all on MS Edge.  

What is it about using a browser that has never signed into zoom that makes the user have to put in a passcode for a one-click zoom link?

Just trying to understand the participant experience to help the elderly participants of our group who will never have a Zoom account and just want to click and attend our zooms.

9 REPLIES 9

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @FPCOfficeMgr.

It’s unclear to me whether you are referring to the Passcode (required to enter a meeting) or a 6-digit verification code sent vis email (to authenticate your login from a new machine or browser). Based on the context, I think you’re referring to the 6-digit via email authentication step.

A confirmed login results in a browser cookie run store, identifying the user’s successful login in that machine. The cookie is retrieved when logging in later, and under certain circumstances, the user is not subjected to additional verification via email. If the cookie is not present, additional authentication will be required.

When scheduling a meeting, if Authentication required Is enabled, this process is enforced even if the user does not have an account. If your security needs allow it, don’t enable Authentication required

Ray_Harwood_0-1705265294057.png

Ray - Need Zoom Events/Sessions Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

FPCOfficeMgr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hello, thank you for trying to resolve this issue.  It is the PASSCODE that participants are sometimes prompted for even though the link has the passcode embedded for one-click participation.  I'm trying to figure out why sometimes participants are prompted and sometimes not.  We do not use authentication and it is not enabled

Ray_Harwood

Thanks for the follow up, @FPCOfficeMgr.  Please take a look at my reply to another post here, which has Passcode-related information you might find helpful:

https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Another-problem-with-embedded-passcodes/m-p/161165/highlight/... 

thank you again for trying to resolve this

1) All my meetings are created the same way - with a passcode and I never change them

2) I copy the one-click link directly from the zoom using the copy function to the right of the meeting URL so not to miss anything by just highlighting and copying

3) I then paste the link into a browser

4) sometimes the meeting will ask me for a passcode and another meeting created the same way will not.  

5) I am trying to figure out why when I create the meetings the same way EVERY time and copy the full link EVERY time, the keying of a passcode to enter the meeting is asked sometimes and not others.

I do appreciate that millions of meetings are going off without issue, but there seems to be a recent "feature" that is happening to us with passcode prompting that didn't happen previously.

Again, many thanks

WBLAsupport
Newcomer
Newcomer

We are having the same issue. It is very inconsistent in terms of whether the link will work as-is or not. We follow the same process every time, and a subset of our attendees have to enter a passcode, while others do not. They are clicking into the meetings from links that are posted in our community space, so it's not a possibility that some users received an incorrect copy/paste link and others did not. Is it possible that the passcode request is only happening to users who are either not yet logged into Zoom, or who have not updated Zoom recently?

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @WBLAsupport.

I’ve probably researched more individual cases of this type of issue than anyone on the planet. I have never run across a researched, documented case where clicking the full, unaltered Join URL didn’t work, and the real issue didn’t end up being some form of incompleteness or inadvertent alteration of the Join UR in an email, calendar entry, or web posting.  (Occasionally the issue is that the Passcode has been changed after the URL is sent, but this is rare.)

If you believe you have a situation where the proper URL did not work, please reach out to me and I’ll investigate. If there ever is a documented case where the proper Join URL didn’t work, Zoom will want to know!

Also, please note that requiring a 6-digit login verification code is different than the Meeting Passcode issue. This situation can indeed occur with some people and not others, based on which device they are using to log into. Passcode is a term Zoom only applies to the “special code” required to enter a meeting. 

Thank you! We post these links in Slack for our community to join. We have recently (within the last two weeks) starting seeing situations where about 5% of users encounter this issue, using the same link as others clicking on the posted links in Slack. We have 200+ people join these meetings and have started seeing about 10 people each session encountering this issue. Please let me know what type of documentation would be helpful.

Ray_Harwood

@WBLAsupport, if you can determine from a user reporting the problem exactly where they obtained the URL (web site URL, email, Slack, etc.), preferably with a screen shot of it in its “native habitat”, and then copy the full Meeting invitation from the Zoom Web Portal:

https://zoom.us/meeting#/upcoming or https://zoom.us/meeting#/previous)

that gives me something I can work with.  In some cases I ask that the Meeting be “refreshed” from Previous to Upcoming by changing the date temporarily for testing. 

In a few days I’ll be able to send you a private message with contact details, or if you have something sooner, you can reach out to me from my web site. 

Katieb10
Newcomer
Newcomer

I am on the main Zoom account as an admin. I set up each meeting the same way with the passcode embedded in the join link. That entire link is added to invites. I'm on a Mac and logged in a the main account holder. I've recently had people on Windows 11 have to enter the passcode from the link. Is Windows 11 the issue?