cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Documentation Installing or updating Zoom on Linux

urilabob
Newcomer
Newcomer

This comment isn't really social, I'm just hoping someone can suggest where to send it that might actually be noticed. Haven't been able to find a suitable bugs/enhancements forum.

The zoom linux installation documentation is seriously out-of-date. We're not talking about a couple of years, try a decade or so.. . This won't matter to those generally familiar with linux; it will matter a lot to new users. Probably need fixing. I'm most familiar with Redhat-based distros. The documentation refers to yum. On Fedora, it was superseded a decade ago, more recently on other distros, but I don't think anything current uses yum. Likewise, it refers to CentOS, which is now unsupported, but not to any of the successor distros. So basically anyone using it is out-of-luck unless they know their distro is a CentOS successor.

A more general issue, the documentation implies that all that's needed to update the software is to install it again. Generally, if you install an existing rpm you're at risk of losing all user settings. Some RPMs take care of this, but judging by the complexities I get even from using the 'dnf update' command and the number of *conf.rpmnew files I find after updates, there are plenty that don't. Maybe the zoom RPM does handle it, in which case it might be wise to mention it. But given this issue, maybe it would be safer to recommend users to update from within zoom.

I'm guessing there are probably similar problems with the docs of debian-based distros. I do run ubuntu a bit, but  on headless systems, so there's no point installing zoom (and no easy way to check whether it works).

0 REPLIES 0