cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translation in closed captioning just translates to jibberish

NancyCampbell
Newcomer
Newcomer

We bought the translation service and tested it out with one of our spanish speakers and she was unable to understand what was being translated.  She said it was just random things - as we were testing out it typed up "david bowie" in the bar and we said nothing about David Bowie.  We are not able to test other languages at this time.

I was also under the impression that any attendee would be able to change the captioning to their preferred language, but it will only allow one language to be translated during the meeting which was very disappointing.

I know $5 per month is not a huge amount, but it does not work as advertised.

1 REPLY 1

stueker
Zoom Employee
Zoom Employee

Dear @NancyCampbell ,

this typically happens, when the system has not been configured correctly.
When translation is activated, every participant in the meeting has to set two things:

1. The language that they are speaking themselves "My speaking language"
  2. The language that they want the captions to be translated into "My caption language"

Since every participant can set these two settings individually, different participants can speak in different languages, and for every participant everything will be translated into the language that they select as caption language.

When gibberish occurs, this is typically a symptom that the speaker has set their speaking language incorrectly. E.g., they are speaking English, but have set their speaking language to Spanish.

In your case, if, e.g., you want to speak in English and your colleague in Spanish, you would set your speaking language to English and you would set your caption language to English. You now can speak in English and will see everything in English.

Your colleague would set their speaking language to Spanish and their caption language to Spanish. Now they can speak in Spanish and will see everything in Spanish.