Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to Pass the Audio Test

Camp
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hi:

To prepare for a video conference in 30 minutes, I took the Zoom test. Unfortunately, the Audio portion failed. I could not hear what I recited.

I'm using an iMac desktop on v. 12.6.3.

How do I correctly set the System Preferences for "Sound"? Currently, output and input volume are both set at 3/4 volume.

2 REPLIES 2

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

Hopefully, this will assist you;

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/7516716291597-Troubleshooting-speaker-or-microphone-issues... 

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

CarlaA

Hi @Camp thank you for posting for the first time and welcome to the Zoom Community!

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing audio issues during your Zoom test on your iMac desktop. Let's work through the audio settings to ensure everything is properly configured. Here's how you can adjust your System Preferences for "Sound":

1. Open System Preferences:

• Click on the Apple logo in the top-left corner of your iMac screen.
    • Select "System Preferences" from the dropdown menu.
  2. Sound Settings:

• In the System Preferences window, click on the "Sound" icon.
  3. Output Tab:

• In the "Sound" window, navigate to the "Output" tab.
    • Here, you can choose the output device for sound. Make sure your desired output device (such as built-in speakers or external headphones/speakers) is selected.
  4. Input Tab:

• Next, navigate to the "Input" tab.
    • Choose the correct input device, which is likely your built-in microphone or any external microphone you're using. Adjust the input volume slider based on your preference. You can start at the middle and adjust it according to your needs.
  5. Check Zoom Audio Settings:

• Open the Zoom desktop app.
    • Click on your profile picture or initials in the top-right corner.
    • Select "Settings."
    • In the settings window, go to the "Audio" section.
    • Confirm that the correct microphone and speaker are selected in the respective dropdown menus.
  6. Test Again:

• After adjusting the settings, run the Zoom test again to check if the audio issue has been resolved.
  7. Restart if Needed:

• If you're still encountering audio problems, you might consider restarting your iMac. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve software-related issues.
  8. External Devices:

• If you're using external audio devices (headphones, microphones, etc.), ensure they are properly connected to your iMac and configured as input/output devices in your Sound settings.

Remember that the "Output" settings control where sound is played, while the "Input" settings control where sound is recorded from.

If you are on macOS 10.14 Mojave or earlier and can't access the microphone, check your operating system permissions to confirm that Zoom has access to the microphone. Learn more about granting permissions for the Zoom client.

I hope this helps!

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?