cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I prevent users from installing end-user Zoom on machines that have the business client?

mapwiz
Explorer
Explorer

I need to rely on Zoom to give my users remote support.  This is accomplished by installing the Zoom business client and using remote control.   

However, from time to time, I find an end-user version of Zoom has been installed as well.    I only discover this in the middle of a session when a UAC prompt pops up: One the user sees but I don't.   The task I wanted to perform with remote support can't be done.

I thought I had purged all of the end-user Zooms but they're beginning to reappear.     The end-user version, is of course installed user by user and so it's the end user I have to cajole into uninstalling it.

Is there a way to just block end-user Zoom on machines that have the Zoom Business Client installed?

3 REPLIES 3

bstrelko
Community Champion | Customer

When you reference "Zoom Business Client", are you referring to the version of Zoom deployed by your company's technology team with specific configuration flags?

I ask, because there is no reference to "Business Client" anywhere on Zoom's KB or even when searching on Google.

If you're talking about VDI or another product, just let us know.

If you're just looking to ensure that users don't manually install a fresh version of Zoom with new PLIST/GPO/MSI/ZDM data and these are managed devices, I'd recommend having your technology department focus on implementing the restriction at the computer level.

mapwiz
Explorer
Explorer

Yes, it's called the "Zoom Workspace desktop app", not the "business client". 

I'm the "technology department" and I'm specifically looking for how to configure Zoom to "implement the restriction at the computer level".    I don't even know what causes Zoom to occasionally download the wrong Zoom on top of the desktop app.  Do you have any specific information on this? 

bstrelko

There is only one Zoom application ("Zoom Workplace", formerly called "Zoom Client").

There is no 'end-user' and 'business' distinction. Restrictions on Zoom software can be managed via PLIST (Mac), GPO/MSI (Win), or ZDM (either).

If someone is downloading "Zoom Client" manually, they're downloading an older/outdated version of Zoom Workplace.

This would need to be done manually, as Zoom fetches the latest version of Zoom Workplace when updating directly from the application.

When you are implementing something at the computer-level, you are not using Zoom to implement (hence 'computer-level', not 'application-level' or 'Zoom-level'). If these are Windows or Mac machines, this would mean locking down those computers not to install any version of Zoom that you (the technology team) chooses to push.

The very short answer to the exact question you initially asked is NO, there is not a way through Zoom to restrict a user from manually downloading and installing a different version/flavor of Zoom using a portable installer. You may restrict which versions they're able to update to, whether they can update, etc., but nothing at the application level can restrict users from installing another application - this type of restriction must be made on the computer/OS itself.