cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Zoom to proctor an exam

TitoL
Newcomer
Newcomer

We want to configure Zoom to allow us to proctor exam sessions. We understand the focus mode will allow the proctor to check the status (camera and shared screen) of each student. We haven't figured it out on the screen sharing, as every time someone shares their screen they won't allow the rest of the students to share their work. It also happens with the proctor. If he wants to share the test instructions it will appear each students meeting view, but it won't allow them to share their screens. We can see everybody's camera views but not what they are working into.

Any help will be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

storyhub
Community Champion | Customer

There is a complex way to do this.

First, focus mode just restricts participants to seeing the hosts' videos, shared content, and videos of "spotlighted" participants. So I am assuming that the proctor is the only one to view any screen sharing from students. Screen sharing is very complex since there are more ways than what Zoom offers directly and some ways will depend on the hardware that is being used. Does the Proctor have more than one screen? How big are his screens?  Do the Students have more than one screen?  If so then any student and proctor can share at the same time. Does the proctor need to see every students screen at the same time? There are no limitation on how many participants can share simultaneously, but it may be difficult to read on some screens. Is the proctor asking a specific student to share at a specific time? or is the student sharing when they reach a specific milestone? or is the student always sharing? A lot of the decision making is based upon how much screen detail needs to be seen. It is possible to share the screen as a webcam, which will avoid students needing to use Zoom's screen share and allow the proctor to chose any screen to view at his choice. Depending on the license, hardware, and the methods used this may be 640 x 360 or it may be 1280 x 720. If the student camera view must be seen at the same time as the screen share it is possible, it just adds further complexity. If very small text is involved 360P may not be adequate and even 720P may not be adequate. If you reach a point where you would like some one-on-one assistance message me and I will see how much I can help as a professional broadcast and A/V engineer. I often do some very creative uses of Zoom for our own productions as well as for our clients and those solutions often require configuring more than just Zoom.

TitoL
Newcomer
Newcomer

Thank you for the prompt response. For showing the cameras and shared screen of the students we have a 55' inch TV with HD 4K connection. Indeed, the proctor will watch everyone's progress and the students will only watch a fixed document that remember participants of the exam rules. All of the students will start the exam at the same time, and they should be no comunication or chat between them. Once a student finishes his test, he receives the score from the exam portal, and the session ends for him after he received some feedback from the proctor. That's what we want to achieve. I have followed some documents with instruction on how to configure the client (via the web interface) and the meeting session itself, but I don't know if I'm missing something, as the system keeps telling me only one person can share the screen at one time. Any help will be appreciated.

storyhub

Thus far it sounds like you did not allow all participants to share. You will need to allow "multiple participants to share" in the web portal keeping in mind that ALL the screen shares are only viewable 2 at a time. In the MORE menu start focus mode. Then all students can screen share. Beyond 2 screen shares this gets very, very complicated since Zoom ONLY provides 2 windows. That means you will constantly be switching between screens. The host screen share will only be viewable by a student when they are not screen sharing so it is not going to work as expected. It would be best if Zoom was just used to share the student camera (if you really need to see the students face) and possibly the proctor screen (a portion only). Then use RealVNC to view the student desktops (realVNC will allow a window for each student computer). However, depending on the number of students and how often the proctor needs to check any one student, your 55" screen is probably not enough screen real estate. You may want to consider a desktop computer with a GPU that can output to 4 screens. If you still insist on only using Zoom you will need to share the test instructions via a different means. Possibly thru a browser or in Zoom chat. If this still does not make sense let me know.

Your solution is very professional. 

RickyClayton
Newcomer
Newcomer

Thanks for answering, I will keep it in my mind.

kaydi41052
Newcomer
Newcomer

Zoom released a new "All Screens Mode" in March which is a very interesting option for proctoring Using all screens mode . 

It would be great if they added the option to also record the desktop shares in all screens mode. 

storyhub

Yes, Zoom ver 6 has lots of great new features. You will still need to share the instructions by some other means than screen sharing.