cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't annotate a clients document on shared screen

HighTrails
Contributor I
Contributor I

This is something that has been driving me nuts for a while.  When I screen share a website, document or whatever, I am 100% always able to annotate it using my graphics tablet pen (XP Pen tablet and pen).  However, sometimes, when I client shares a website, a document, etc. from their end, my annotation option at the top of my screen is gone!  So I am unable to annotate on their screen.  I haven't collected enough information on the types of documents, sites, etc. that this doesn't work on, but I am wondering if there is something simple I am missing here.  I remember at one point when I would annotate, my name would appear next to what I was writing and Zoom told me the client has some control on their that will toggle on or off display of who is writing.  Is there some other menu on the client end I should direct them to, so that I can annotate their documents or whatever they are sharing??  I have asked them to look each time it has happened and they say they can't find any menus or toggles that would indicate they can enable that to allow me to annotate on their shared screen.  Hope someone can help.

5 REPLIES 5

Phaynes1
Newcomer
Newcomer

Did you find anything out? I am having the same option, usually if the student is using a program like IXL, I wonder if it is a security issue since most are signed in through thei

CarlaA
Community Moderator | Employee
Community Moderator | Employee

Hello! Thank you both for posting to the Zoom Community 🙂

If you do not have the annotation option, confirm that the host has not disabled annotation. 

To enable annotation, have them follow these steps: https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0060943

If they started the shared screen or whiteboard, have them click More (...) in the screen share controls for these annotation settings:

• Enable/Disable Annotation for Others: Allow or prevent the participants from annotating on their shared screen.
  • Show/Hide Names of Annotators: Show or hide the participants' names when they are annotating. If set to show, the participant's name will briefly display beside their annotation.

I hope this helps!

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

2toringwithowen
Newcomer
Newcomer

Does it matter if the person is sharing from a tablet? 

I've noticed when clients share their screens from a tablet, the annotation function is unavailable. However, when a client share from a computer, I am able to annotate the shared screen. 

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

"Tablet" is a generic term so it's hard to discuss the actual situation. In general, the desktop client (application) is the most functional. The other platform clients have less functionality. 

Here is a link to a Zoom support article that explains the abilities of each platform client.

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0065520 

Prerequisites for screen annotation tools in virtual meetings

• Annotation enabled
  • Zoom desktop client for Windows, macOS, or Linux: Global minimum version or higher
  • Zoom mobile app for Android or iOS: Global minimum version or higher

Note: For Linux users, annotation is supported on X11. Due to limitations with Wayland, annotation is only supported when a user is sharing their entire desktop on one display.

Note: The meeting host can disable attendee annotation. If you do not have the annotation option, confirm that the host has not disabled annotation.

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0067931 

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

Hi, 
I encountered similar experience when the other person was sharing screen from the tablet. 

I think it would be great if the annotate button remained visible but greyed out when disabled, rather than disappearing entirely. During a recent meeting, I spent a considerable amount of time searching for the button, wondering if there had been changes to the UI. Keeping the button visible in a disabled state would probably reduce confusion.