Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio issues

JoelBatson
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hi all,

I'm trying to hold meetings where I, as host, sing and play guitar for the other participants.  I have a Mac and am playing through my DAW, Logic Pro X.  I have figured out how to re-route the audio using an intermediary program called Blackhole, and I've also turned the 'automatically adjust microphone volume' box off in the zoom audio settings.  This has allowed me to get good audio for participants on smart phones using the app and also for when I record the session, but not so for participants joining on laptops.  Is the problem still at my end, or can I advise participants who still receive audio that cancels out the guitar about some sort of fix at their end?

5 REPLIES 5

storyhub
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Assuming you turned ON "original sound" for music to be heard. First keep in mind that most music audio recorded in a DAW is done at 44.1K sample rate. Zoom prefers a 48K sample rate and will try to make system adjustments to compensate. Second, most laptops have terrible sound systems with very poor speakers for music but they typically do have stereo speakers. Laptop users should be using headphones to listen or connect their laptop's audio to a better sound system. If you have introduced stereo phase inversion (by mistake or on purpose) instead of sending mono audio, that can cause cancellation to be heard on laptop speakers, but may not be heard when using headphones. As a broadcast audio engineer I do numerous live Zoom broadcasts with musical instruments and have no issues with anyone hearing the guitar or other instruments. I also do video playback with music with no issues. I have even done playback from Adobe Audition and sound Forge via Zoom with no issues. Zoom will broadcast stereo audio but will always record mono. You might want to share the recording to see what laptop participants hear during playback. If it is different than the live performance I would certainly question the live configuration.

• Thanks! 
    RobertL1

Thanks for this.  Lots of useful info. 

Yes I have original sound toggled and also i've toggled the automatically adjust mic volume switch.  That's helped a lot!

Are you saying it can be better to send your audio in mono?

I did a test today with multiple participants and all except one had good sound. Yay!  The guy who didn't have good sound was using headphones, so that was weird. Maybe it's an internet strength thing?

Thanks again for your input.

RobertL1
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hey Joel, 

I have found your audio concerns interesting. I want do the same audio connections with DAW Cubase 13. I am on an iPhone with multiple meetings and this will now be even better knowing your DAW is working for you. I will try my DAW through my customized desktop. I will try to learn how a DAW to DAW with Zoom works. Thanks for posting. More updates about my success soon. Question: Are you on your phone linked remotely to your MAC and keeping good audio communication? Thanks,

RobertL1

I don't use my phone.  I'm working directly on the Mac.  Hope you figure it out.