cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Zoom Events unavailable in some EU countries

MapleCharlie
Newcomer
Newcomer

Good day, I have a paid Zoom Event set up with Stripe and someone from Denmark is interested but Denmark is not listed in the article below:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0063856

The article ends with "Note: If an event—free or paid—restricts access to specific countries or regions, then users located in those countries or regions will not be allowed to register for and join the event."

Why? 

The article provides no useful information as to why this restriction is in place for countries in the EU.  Attendees who are blocked from attending a paid web event should be given some kind of explanation.  Why is France, Spain, and Switzerland allowed but not Denmark?  Is it local government restrictions, taxes, etc?  Did Zoom just decide they didn't want to do any event business in Denmark?  Stripe's documentation supports Denmark so its not a Stripe problem.

Given Zoom provided the whitelist on their support page, Zoom owes its customers a good explanation as to why these restrictions are necessary.

4 REPLIES 4

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @MapleCharlie.

Take a look at the Page Builder which is being released July  22. This will give you a lot more flexibility in what appears on the registration page. 

———-

I apparently hadn’t read your post completely when I answered initially, sorry; here’s my original response:

Please see this Zoom Support article for information:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0063856

As indicated in the article, there is no country restriction for free events, but paid events are restricted to the countries indicated in the article. 

Ray - Need Zoom Events/Sessions Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Thank you, @Ray_Harwood .  I will be sure to check it out once it is released.  Thank you for the prompt reply!  you and @janthech1122 have provided faster and better quality responses than the Zoom Support admin handling my case and I do appreciate it.

janthech1122
Newcomer
Newcomer

The article you referred to doesn't provide specific reasons for these limitations, which can indeed be confusing.

There are several potential reasons why certain countries like Denmark are restricted:

1. Regulatory and Compliance Issues: There might be local laws and regulations in Denmark that complicate the process of offering paid events. This could include tax laws, consumer protection laws, or data privacy regulations.

2. Operational Constraints: Zoom might not have the necessary infrastructure or local partnerships in place to support paid events in Denmark.

3. Business Decisions: Sometimes, companies prioritize certain markets over others based on strategic business considerations, which could explain why Denmark is not currently supported.

While it’s not a Stripe issue, as you mentioned, it could be a combination of the factors above from Zoom’s perspective.

Zoom should indeed provide a clearer explanation for these restrictions. In the meantime, you might consider contacting Zoom support directly for a more detailed answer regarding your specific event and attendee needs.

MapleCharlie
Newcomer
Newcomer

Thank you @janthech1122 - I really appreciate your reply.  Yes, I have my theories about those topics as well.  However, I should not have to theorize about a vendor's inability to provide a service to a specific customer, especially when that constraint is not clearly highlighted during the configuration of an event.  Perhaps I would have chosen a different platform had I known beforehand.  Now the event is published and I have to explain to potential customers why they cannot join.  It would great help if Zoom had a formal reason (and updated their event configuration so people know before of these limitations for paid events before they publish the event).

Regarding Zoom Support, I contacted them over 2 weeks ago when I was first alerted about this problem and the quality of Zoom Support's response has been extremely poor.  The ticket sat in the queue unanswered for a week before a support team member acknowledged the question, then sent me the same Zoom support article that I already provided in the ticket.  When I politely pointed out that I had already read that article (and linked to that support article it in the initial ticket) this is the response from the support team member: " Please contact with our sales team or your account AE for checking for detail. When i checked your question on our article, i could not find Denmark for paid zoom event."

I have asked that the ticket be escalated to the next tier within Zoom and have indeed escalated to my account rep.  That's clearly a training problem within the Support Team and tells me that Zoom Support Team members are not equipped to handle unique inquiries.