cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chat Settings

Kathy01
Listener

Hello, I want to turn off the chat save option for attendees.  At the same time, I want to be able to save the chat for the host for reference after the event.  Can this be done?  If so, would  you assist and thanks. Kathy

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

zac2021
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@Kathy01 Both can be done.

To enable or disable Chat for your own use:

1. Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
  2. In the navigation panel, click Settings.
  3. Click the Meeting tab.
  4. Under In Meeting (Basic), click the Chat toggle to enable or disable it. If you disable Chat, the Private chat and Auto saving chats features will also be disabled.
    Note:
    • If the option is grayed out, it has been locked at the account level and needs to be changed at that level.
    • You may see separate settings for Meeting chat and Webinar chat if your admin requested this to be enabled by Zoom.
  5. If a verification dialog appears, click Turn On or Turn Off to verify the change.
  6. (Optional) Change these setting for chat permissions, then click Save:
    Note: These settings only work properly if the host is on client version 5.7.3 and above.
    • Allow participants to chat with: Specify who meeting participants and webinar panelists can chat with using in-meeting or in-webinar chat. 
    • Allow users to save chats from the meeting: Enable or disable the ability to save the chat transcript for Hosts and co-hosts or Everyone.

Saving in-meeting chat: You can save meeting chats either or both locally on your desktop/to the cloud. Please see detailed instructions here.

View solution in original post

zac2021

Hello @Kathy01 , Thank you for sharing a snapshot of your settings. Would you kindly try the settings as shown on the snapshot:

zac2021_0-1650994735253.jpeg

Cheers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

zac2021

@Kathy01 Both can be done.

To enable or disable Chat for your own use:

1. Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
  2. In the navigation panel, click Settings.
  3. Click the Meeting tab.
  4. Under In Meeting (Basic), click the Chat toggle to enable or disable it. If you disable Chat, the Private chat and Auto saving chats features will also be disabled.
    Note:
    • If the option is grayed out, it has been locked at the account level and needs to be changed at that level.
    • You may see separate settings for Meeting chat and Webinar chat if your admin requested this to be enabled by Zoom.
  5. If a verification dialog appears, click Turn On or Turn Off to verify the change.
  6. (Optional) Change these setting for chat permissions, then click Save:
    Note: These settings only work properly if the host is on client version 5.7.3 and above.
    • Allow participants to chat with: Specify who meeting participants and webinar panelists can chat with using in-meeting or in-webinar chat. 
    • Allow users to save chats from the meeting: Enable or disable the ability to save the chat transcript for Hosts and co-hosts or Everyone.

Saving in-meeting chat: You can save meeting chats either or both locally on your desktop/to the cloud. Please see detailed instructions here.

Hello,  Just a quick note to thank you for all the details regarding the options I need for chat.  I really appreciate it!  Kathy

Hello,  I need to follow-up with you on the Chat function.  I set the Chat to On:  Allow Meeting and Webinar participants to send change msgs.    I set Allow users to save chats from meeting for only Host and Co Host. 

I set Auto Saving Chats to On.    

I am still running into a problem.  See below.

Note: Under the (enabled) Chat setting, if the Allow users to save chats from the meeting check box is deselected, this prevents all meeting participants, including the host, from saving the chat transcript. 

I just did a test with a friend and he was able to save the Chat even though I had only selected Host and Co-Host.  Is there a way for the Host/CoHost Only to save the Chat and disable the participants from saving chat.  I must be missing a step.  Please assist when you have a moment.  I attached the settings that I am using. Thanks. Kathy

zac2021

Hello @Kathy01 , Thank you for sharing a snapshot of your settings. Would you kindly try the settings as shown on the snapshot:

zac2021_0-1650994735253.jpeg

Cheers

Thank you for your quick response.  I will be back in touch in just a bit. 

Hi,  I tried the settings that you suggested and here is the outcome:   Tested with friend and it worked and he was not able to copy the chat.  That fixed it. 

The only other question I have is the notification that users click on regarding chat.      See attached doc.  It says Everyone in the meeting can see and save your messages with Everyone - and can share them with apps and others.    That isn't the case sense I made the setting change, right? The second paragraph holds true.  Would you confirm this with me?  Thanks again.

Hello, No additional follow-up is needed.  I didn't save the settings so that is why the Info Msg came up the way it did.  Everything is working.  Really appreciate your help. 

zac2021

Hello @Kathy01,

You're much welcome and thank you for asking the Zoom Community.

Happy to help.

zac

Hola😍