cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using external camera with mic, the mic is not received by Zoom? any ideas

parton11
Listener

Hi

I'm trying to use a Sony A7rii via hdmi, into a Blackmagic Ultrastudio Recorder 3G, then out from that via Thunerbolt 3 into MacBookPro.

Using Blackmagic  software 'BlackMagic Media Express' I can see that there is definitely audio being sent down the HDMi cable with the video.

On Zoom, the picture is fine (though I had to change the software version as it did not initially work on version 5.9, it works on 5.86 and 5.10.1) but when Blackmagic Ultrastudio Recorder 3G is selected as the mic source there is nothing.

Does anyone have any idea of a solution?  I'm wondering if there is another earlier software version that it might work on.

6 REPLIES 6

Joaz2080
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

Hello @parton11 - Thanks for reaching out to Zoom community. There are variety of reasons that might cause this such as audio configuration, third-party software compatibility, etc. Can you try "Zoom Audio/Video Test " which should help determine if Zoom is receiving the audio signal? 

parton11
Listener

hi thanks for replying.  I tried the test you linked to and yes the mic does work and replays my voice when I select Blackmagic Ultrastudio as the mic input.  

Does that mean its just working then? I have only gone of the audio levels in the Preferences section, I haven't tried an actual zoom meeting yet with it.  There is zero levels registering on the audio level meter when I have Blackmagic selected as mic input, and when I change it to internal computer mic for example, the levels are bouncing around as you would expect.

Joaz2080
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

Hello @parton11 - Thanks for the update and glad to hear the test work. Can you start a test meeting and let us know the outcome?

parton11
Listener

Yes I started the test meeting and it the test for picture, speakers and mic all came back fine. Is that what counts as a 'test meeting' or is there more to it?

Joaz2080
Attendee | Zoom Employee
Attendee | Zoom Employee

Yes! That's it. Are you still experiencing any issues?

parton11
Listener

sorry, I thought I'd resolved the issue but I haven't.  When the Blackmagic Ultrastudio was selected as microphone -  I now realise it was actually still using the internal computer microphone, despite still saying Blackmagic Ultrastudio in the mic select.  Then when I selected internal mic and then went back to Blackmagic it now has no levels for the Blackmagic external mic.

I know this mic is sending down the HDMI from the camera it is connected to as when I open Blackmagic Express its all perfectly fine in there. it just seems like Zoom is struggling to use it.  is there a driver I need to install?