cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing Zoom Rooms Windows

HSteindl
Listener

Hello community

Articles like https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/203689369-Configure-Auto-Login-for-Zoom-Rooms describe how to start with Zoom Rooms on a Windows Platform but I have yet to find info about how to make it more secure.

For comparison MS Teams Rooms use a multitude of Windows features like Assigned Access, no shell for the user, etc.
Is there anything similar available for ZOOM Rooms? The obvious plan is to make the Zoom Room PC as less PC-like as possible and towards an embedded appliance.
How about the preconfigured systems like the ones from Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc.  Do they use any special tricks to tackle this?
thanks in advance
HST

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer

Thank you Rupert.  This sounds like a good way to do it. However I am still kind of puzzled that this topic does not seem to be a bigger issue in the Zoom world. I would say, that the huge majority of IT admins do not know how to really lock down a PC-appliance and still make it perfectly usable for audio/video = realtime applications.

Rupert

Hi @HSteindl 

It depends.

IT Admins in large enterprise will generally have robust mechanisms for locking things down. I think Enterprise forms the bulk of Zoom Rooms users.

IT Admins in smaller organizations may not have the same mechanisms, maybe because they don't need them.

Some (maybe most) organizations may also choose to have their A/V systems on a segregated network anyway - so things may not need to be as heavily locked down as office systems.

Thanks for your reply. Well we could go on with this discussion...
Pure experience tells me, that they are indeed good in locking things down but lets not forget about the second half "... and still make it useable for realtime applications .." 😉
Anyhow, the reason for my original post was more about why there seems to be not more guidance in using lesser known mechanisms like assigned access which for sure is known only by a tiny fraction of corporate IT people.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/kiosk-single-app
It would be nice to get some input from Zoom if techniques like this is good or even possible for Zoom Rooms.