cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Conference call connection to Zoom web meeting

DSAustralia
Listener

I want to connect a party who has no internet, to a zoom webinar, by telephone. I realise I call the Zoom telephone number, enter ID and password etc. then place the call on hold and add the call to my third party. That works fine, however I want the third party to be able to mute and unmute. Pressing *6 on their phone pad doesnt mute or unmute, pressing *6 on my phone pad doesn't mute them or unmute them. What do I have to do to allow the third party to mute or unmute themselves?  Note that while I organise the conference call, I am participating in the webinar on my computer. It is just that the third party has no internet, so I am using this telephone method to connect them to the web meeting. It would be nice to know how i can get the third party to participate in the meeting. Many thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Dan_ZoomSE
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @ ,

Seems like you are over complicating things….  First, why are you conferencing in a third party conference system instead of just having them dial the Zoom pstn numbers on their own?

Second, as you mentioned webinar unless they are issued a Panelists join link they would be joining as an attendee and be in listen only mode.  
Third, if you needed them to be able to interact (come off mute) they would have to join by computer in order to get a participant ID to pair their phone connection with.

With this being a Webinar and them

not having internet make this not very simple if they do indeed need to be interactive and be able to talk.

Have you considered a Meeting instead of Webinar?  With meeting they could just dial the path number and then use stmt menu to mute/unmute.

If it must be a webinar, then one option would be to issue a panelist to another email (like your personal email) and join another device (tablet, second computer, etc) to the webinar with that panelist link but do not join computer audio.  Choose to join using telephone and the zoom client will show you your participant ID.  Then you can send the phone number and participant ID to your third party to dial in with.  This will allow them to be muted/unmuted using the mute icon on the second device you joined with.

If this has answered your question, please click the Accept as Solution button below so that others in the Community may benefit as well.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Thank you very much for your assistance.

kind regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Dan_ZoomSE

Hello @ ,

Seems like you are over complicating things….  First, why are you conferencing in a third party conference system instead of just having them dial the Zoom pstn numbers on their own?

Second, as you mentioned webinar unless they are issued a Panelists join link they would be joining as an attendee and be in listen only mode.  
Third, if you needed them to be able to interact (come off mute) they would have to join by computer in order to get a participant ID to pair their phone connection with.

With this being a Webinar and them

not having internet make this not very simple if they do indeed need to be interactive and be able to talk.

Have you considered a Meeting instead of Webinar?  With meeting they could just dial the path number and then use stmt menu to mute/unmute.

If it must be a webinar, then one option would be to issue a panelist to another email (like your personal email) and join another device (tablet, second computer, etc) to the webinar with that panelist link but do not join computer audio.  Choose to join using telephone and the zoom client will show you your participant ID.  Then you can send the phone number and participant ID to your third party to dial in with.  This will allow them to be muted/unmuted using the mute icon on the second device you joined with.

If this has answered your question, please click the Accept as Solution button below so that others in the Community may benefit as well.

Thanks!

DSAustralia
Listener

Thanks for the reply. It certainly is a bit complicated. The reason the party is joining by phone is that they are 83 years old and have deteriorating sight and shaky fingers, this makes it impossible for them to dial the phone number, meeting ID and passcode number. 

However the solution you provide sounds like a good idea. It might still be a bit complex but I will give it a go.

Kind regards

Dan_ZoomSE

@DSAustralia ,

Given that additional detail you just shared....  this may be a better approach.... 

Start your Webinar, then click the Participants Button and then Invite.  On the Invite window that opens click on the Call Out tab and then enter the phone number of the person you want to add to the Webinar.  All they will have to do is answer the phone and press 1 to join.

Please note that this will require that you have an audio plan on your Zoom account; either pay as you go or a fixed monthly commit.  This will also result in your Zoom account being charge per minute for that phone connection.

This would create the easiest user experience for your elder participant.

Thanks!

My apologies, for a few things! I said Webinar instead of meeting. Its a meeting that this whole scenario is about. There are around 50 tablet and computer connections and the regular meeting is hosted by the account holder (not me). I am a bit technologically challenged myself  so I am sorry about that. I hope this clarification helps. I know when i dial up the meeting  with the phone number, ID and password and put the call on hold, then add the lady, when I merge the calls the meeting automatic voice, says you are in the meeting now, you can mute or unmute by pressing *6. So at the risk of repeating myself, thats where if I press *6 it doesnt unmute her and if she presses *6 it doesnt unmute her. I am wondering if she needs (or her daughter who lives close by) to dial in directly herself for the mute/unmute function to work correctly.

Thanks again.

Dan_ZoomSE

Yes, if there is someone nearby that can dial in for the user, that would work.  Because you have initiated a 3-way call from your phone that is why the *6 does not work.  And it does not work for the other user because they are not technically connected to Zoom, they are connected to you.

Additionally, the method i mentioned above about the Host dialing out to this user from the Webinar would also work for meetings, but again, requires you to have an audio plan as part of your Zoom License.  

So, either dial out from meeting (assuming audio plan is available) or have someone dial in directly for the end user and do not use a 3way conference call like you have been.

Thanks!

Thank you very much for your assistance.

kind regards